Chapter 12

Darla crouches down in a corner of the bathroom, she can't stop the tears from falling and fears for her life.

CRASH! The bathroom door caves in, kicked by Erica, standing there she stares around the small space still holding the unconscious Funboy. She turns her head and her eyes fall upon Darla.

Darla, who is unsure what to do starts panicking, from her lips escapes an ethereal scream, not that anyone can hear her.

Erica drags the body into the bathroom but as she enters a flashback occurs –

Flashback – We are in a low position, Funboy hovering over us and speaks, "Look, I got a gun in my pocket." His voice is low as he starts to take his trousers down.

The room is bathed in an eerie red and blue faded light.

For a moment we are back in the present, Erica grabs Funboy by the hair but is taken aback by the incoming flashback.

Flashback – back in the same low position, Funboy still leering over us but half naked, "Oh, it's happy to see you." This time his voice is full of ecstasy, he then proceeds to play with his appendage.

Back in present time, on top of the cistern is a small shaving knife and glass bottle, Darla sees them and begins reaching for them, she manages to grab the knife but begins quietly crying.

Erica turns on a tap which activates the shower and Darla can be heard whimpering in the far corner. She plonks him in the bath before turning her attention to Darla.

Looking into Erica's eyes you can see the concern etched across her features, she starts forward towards Darla, she looks rather menacing and Darla screams, "Stay away from me!"

Without any effort Erica grabs the knife, she throws it away and gently grabs Darla by the wrists, she turns her away so both their reflections are seen in the mirror. Darla feels helpless and cries out, "Noooo." Only once.

Erica lightly forces Darla to look at her reflection in the mirror, with one hand Erica places her hand upon Darla's forehead, Erica tells Darla to, "Look." At her reflection. Darla does so but still seems frightened.

Erica's voice sounds sad yet hopeful, "We only get one chance," she sighs looking at Darla through the mirror before whispering, "Mother is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children," Erica pauses for a moment, "do you understand?"

We focus in on Darla's arm where Funboy injected her with Morphine.

Erica stands there, focused, "Morphine," a pale white liquid slowly trickles out of Darla's arm, "is bad for you."

Sweat pours from Darla but she is calming down. Erica lets go of her, Darla looks up at her in surprise and wonder.

Erica places her hands gently on either side of Darla's head, "Your daughter is out there on the streets, alone, she shouldn't be there, but she is waiting for you." She tilts her head and gently urges Darla in the direction of the bathroom door. Darla takes one last look at Funboy in the bath and races out of the bathroom, picks up some things, tries not to cry as she exits the apartment.

Erica watches Darla leave before exiting the bathroom, on a counter top she spies the vial of morphine and a needle, she picks it up and takes a close look, an idea forming in her mind.