Chapter 13

We open on Gideon sitting at the bar drinking whiskey. He tells the barman, "Fill it up." His hand holding the glass is shaking.

The barman is far from impressed, getting hold of the bottle of whiskey he places it on the bar and says, "Fill it up yourself, macho man." A trace of hatred in his voice.

The coloured man in the grey suit wearing glasses enters the bar area and walks upto Gideon, "Burn yourself playing with matches?"

Gideon growls, "Fuck you." He tries to pour himself a whiskey but finds it impossible.

Jonah (the coloured guy with glasses) grabs the whiskey out of Gideon's hand and pours him a glass, "You have an appointment upstairs Gideon."

"I ain't going nowhere." Gideon is certain.

Jonah places his hand firmly on Gideon's shoulder but doesn't say a word.

Darla exits from upstairs not looking where she is going, she runs into a girl carrying empty glasses, the woman almost falls to the floor, the glass shatters on the floor but Darla keeps going.

The barman smirks, "Good night Darla."

Darla doesn't hear him, instead she grabs the door to the outside swings it open and rushes out without so much as a backward glance.

Her behaviour puzzles Jonah, he looks towards the steps leading upstairs to where Darla just came from, he tells Gideon, "Stay there."

"I'm not going anywhere." Gideon's voice shakes.

Jonah walks towards the staircase and begins to feel for his gun which is sat neatly in his holster.

Funboy is slowly coming around, he is sprawled in the bathtub soaking wet, Erica grabs him by the scruff of the neck.

Jonah is almost at the top of the first flight of stairs, his eyes are constantly looking upwards for any sign of trouble.

Erica pins Funboy down on the floor, Funboy who is half out of it squeaks, "Get away, skinhead."

Erica gets the syringe filled with morphine to within an inch of him, she whispers, "Hammer time."

She uses the syringe to etch into his flesh, followed by driving seven syringes filled with morphine around his heart area.

Jonah has reached the top of the second flight of stairs, he holds his gun in his hand, prepared for what may occur. His hand lightly grabs the handle, turning it quietly he opens the door. As the door opens wider, Jonah's eyes quickly scan the place, then he enters.

He stares in disbelief at what is in front of him, on the floor lies Funboy barely breathing, Jonah looks around but sees nothing, until he looks towards the window.

There perched on the edge of the sill is Erica, she smiles and goes, "Shhhh." Before propelling herself out of the window into the night.

Jonah races to the window, his eyes look around outside, but he can see nothing, Erica can be heard laughing, echoing off the buildings.

Jonah turns to take a better look at Funboy, etched into his skin is the outlines of a crow, his heart is surrounded by seven syringes, Funboy takes his last breath.