Chapter Six

Uncle Ben pushes open the front door and my eyes widen at the sight before me. A cherry oak staircase sprawls out into a grand hall. It's lined with a deep forest green carpet, gold swirls running up and down the side of each step. Paintings of serious faces peer down from high above on the walls. They are strangers to me, but the soft sound of Chopin that floats into the hall is not. I recognize it almost immediately as one that my mother taught me years ago. My feet follow Uncle Ben towards the waltzing melody, but my eyes flutter above as they drink in the sight of the dancing rich hues that sparkle in the chandelier.

The music comes to a jarring halt.

"You're here!"

"Hello, Grandmother," I say.

There's little doubt that the silver haired woman sitting excitedly at the grand piano is Gran. Given the family's struggling finances, it's inconceivable that we'd be able to visit one another. And yet, despite having only seen this woman in pictures, I know in my heart that this is family.

"Oh, let me get a good look at you!" She gleefully rushes towards me, placing her hands on my shoulders. "Why, goodness! You were such a funny little stick of a child. You're a young woman, now!"

I let Grandmother wrap her arms around me and squeeze me tight as I quickly try to unpack her greeting as an insult or not. Her large pearl necklaces press against my small frame and for a moment I think I might lose my breath.

"You must tell me everything about your journey. Come, come," she commands. "Margaret! Oh, Margaret!"

A young gal, dressed in plain frock with an apron, dutifully appears.

"Yes, m'am," she says, arms folded in front of her.

"The young Ms. Chapman here has just arrived and we want to get her settled in as quickly as possible."

"Yes, m'am," she repeats. "I'll grab the luggage from the foyer and take it to your room. Would you prefer a late tea or dinner to be served a bit early today, m'am?"

"Hazel, dinner or late tea?" Gran turns and asks me.

"Oh, well, um, what would-" I stumble.

"We'll have dinner and skip tea." Gran cuts me off. "Please check in with Mr. Williams if his guest will be staying for dinner as well."

Uncle Ben looks up from his paper.

"Guest?"

"Yes," Grandmother says, taking her seat on the ornate satin couch across from the piano. She motions for me to join her. "Young Henry is here."

"Harry? Oh really," he begins to sit up. "I should see what's gone on."

"Oh relax, let the lad handle himself," she says dismissively. In a heartbeat, her expression changes to excitement. "Come now, Hazel. You must tell me everything about your journey!"

I take my seat beside her nervously, quickly picking up on the power dynamics of the room. I barely begin when Margaret appears in the room again, this time with a young man in toe. He ducks his head as he enters the room, which I find quite funny given the height of the parlor doorway. As he straightens out, cap in hand, it's clear he's a tall lanky thing who must have picked up the habit from stepping into rooms much smaller than this.

My eyes widen as our eyes meet. His eyes are a color I can't quite make out, some sort of greenish hue with flecks of golden brown. He brushes his short hair back, again what appears to be a nervous habit. It's incredibly endearing.

"My apologies, M'am," the young man says, "I hate to interrupt but I didn't want to leave without saying goodbye."

"Hello, Harry," Uncle Ben greets the handsome stranger. He begins to shift through his jacket pocket and pulls out a small journal, a planner of some kind. "Did we have a meeting for today?" Uncle Ben asks, worried.

"No, no, sir. Your father sent word to the factory today requesting some paper work, and I volunteered to take them to him," the young man replies. "I hope you'll not think me terrible rude to intrude." He shifts slightly so that he is facing me directly. With a small and charming smile, he speaks to me, "Hello, Miss."

"Oh, not at all Henry!" Grandmother exclaims. "Here, Mr. Henry Styles, please meet my lovely granddaughter Ms. Hazel Chapman."

"Harry, is just fine Mrs. Williams," he replies to her. He looks back at me and explains, "My father calls me Henry, but everyone else can call me Harry." Harry extends his hand to shake mine, and I can feel the heat rising in my cheeks.

"Pleased to make your acquaintance," I shyly reply, shuffling awkwardly on the couch to reach his hand.

"Ah, so you're an American?" He points out. I give a little nod and look down at my feet, hoping my hat will cover the fact that I'm blushing.

"Yes, she's just traveled nearly for a week to be here for the first time. She'll be staying with us while Mr. Williams recovers from his illness and we settle in from the move," Grandmother answers for me.

"So I'll be seeing you at the factory then tomorrow, Harry?" Uncle Ben inquires.

"Yes, sir. I look forward to it." Harry puts on his cap and places his hands in his coat pocket. "Lovely meeting you Ms. Chapman." I smile back at him not really knowing what to say. I can hear Lucy mocking me in my head for my inability to flirt. Harry gives a final nod to our group and heads on his way out the room.

"Quick, quick, tell me everything before dinner," Grandmother excitedly says as she refocuses on me.

"Hazel!" Grandmother's bright voice pulls me back.

"Yes, so sorry!" I snap back to reality. I'm so relieved that my welcome has gone as well as it has so far. I shake off my lingering nerves from meeting Harry and take a deep breath and continue telling Gran all of my journey.