Chapter Nineteen

There isn't much time. In fact, there isn't any time at all. I look down at the brown watch that clings to my small wrist. The thin gold arrow of the long hand nearly points to the twelve, the short hand already reaching tiny seven.

"Oh good gosh almighty," I hear my mother's favorite exasperated phrase in my head as I rush around the room. 

My fingers move like lightening as I unfasten the buttons of my house dress and grab a cream colored dress from the dresser. The warm knitted fabric and the slightly longer sleeves will help to keep me warm, especially since my winter coat is downstairs and therefore out of the question. 

The neckline of the dress is delicately stitched with tiny, little pearls. It's a simple embellishment, but I love how they swirl in a flowery pattern. I also love that it means there's no need to spend time picking out jewelry to wear. 

I then glance up into the mirror, assessing the damage of today's hustle and bustle on my hair and makeup. I'm caught in between the dread of looking frightful and the fear of missing Harry altogether from taking too long to get ready. I decide to quickly tie a blue ribbon in my hair and twist my wavy locks back into it. 

After applying just a little touchup to my makeup to hide the stress of the day, I give myself one final look in the mirror. I could definitely have done better with more time, but if I had all the time in the world I probably still wouldn't have spent it on makeup and hair. I'm not too interested in such fussy things.

I take a step back from the vanity table, my hands frantically patting myself down as I run through a checklist of everything I need.

Hair, check. 

Clothes, check. 

What else am I forgetting? 

My toes wiggle as if in response. "Oh, bother.." I whisper under my breath. I would be the girl to show up barefoot. I quickly find a pair of white and brown heels that match fine enough, my fingers nervously fastening them. 

I dart across the room to grab my dark blue clutch coat that hangs inside my armoire. I haven't worn it once since it's not nearly as warm as my winter coat, but it'll have to do under the circumstances.

Now that I'm finally dressed and ready to go, I can feel the weight of my decision creeping back on me. I close my eyes and let out a deep breath, pushing the voice of reason off to the deepest corner of my mind. 

I tip toe carefully back to the light switch, making sure my that the clicking of my heels doesn't raise any alarm. My hand grips the metal switch and flicks it off. My fingers are already shaking from nervousness and excitement.

Just for good measure, I also decide to stuff my bed with my pillows as a Hazel decoy. It seems like a good idea at first as my mind thinks back on the books I've read where someone tries to escape using a decoy. However, when I take a step back to regard my work, I have to tilt my head to see if that makes it even remotely convincing. 

It doesn't. 

There's no way the misshapen lump would fool anyone, but it at least gives me peace of mind for trying. I crawl over my bed and the irregular shape that now occupies it, unlatching the cold window pane. 

The air outside is chilly, yet still. And thank heavens for that. I start to feel wobbly just as I lean out the window and take in the distance from my room to the ground. My confidence fades even faster as I swing my leg over the edge of the window, straddling it like a horse, as the cold air and my doubt freeze over my muscles. 

I take a deep breath, and try to focus on the image of Harry smiling. 

You can do this.

I look down at my watch; it's already 7:10. I'm so late. An image of Harry sitting there by himself crosses my mind. I can't let him think I wouldn't show. Or worse, what if someone like Kitty just happens to see him sitting there.