Chapter Fifty-Seven

The ride back is quiet save for the hum of the old engine and the splashing of wet snow against the tires. Lucy lays her head on my shoulder while the boys chat idly up front. While they mumble about some fella who keeps missing radio parts on the line, I quietly watch Harry. He leans his elbow against the window and runs his hand through his damp curls every now and then. He doesn't seem to have gone to that closed off place, but I still feel terribly inside. Every moment with Harry has been perfect. To make him think anything other than that is shameful.

I let out a big sigh, my frustration now audibly seeping out.

"You alright back there, Hazel?" Niall asks as he pull the car on to the bottom of Lucy's street.

"Probably made the poor girl sick with your driving," Harry says. I can't tell if he's messing with Niall or worried about me.

"Have not!" Niall protests, "Have I?"

"No, I'm just tired," I assure him. Niall's jaw juts out as he lets out a one big laugh of vindication at Harry. Harry just waves him off and turns to stare out the window again.

"Darling," Lucy says softly. "Could you drop us right here?"

"I'm not your cabbie, woman," Niall laughs. "We'll walk you to your door."

"You see that light on over there?" she asks. We all duck our heads to peer out the front windshield. Sure as sugar, a dusty yellow light glows in the upstairs window of the house across the street from Lucy's.

"What of it?" Niall asks.

"That there is Mrs. Collins and if that light is on, then the nosiest woman alive is awake. I'm in no mood to go fixing myself some trouble with her."

"We just need a decoy," Niall says. "Quick, Harry! Grab Hazel and give her a proper snog in front of that house so I can walk this one inside."

"You mental?" Harry asks, incredulously. I'm a little taken a back by the irritation in his voice.

"It's just a suggestion," Niall says, laughing.

"Well, no need for any more suggestions. My mind's made up," Lucy says. "It's just a quick little run up the street. I won't think you rude to leave us to it."

"Alright, alright," Niall replies, turning the ignition off. I shudder as the wind rattles the thin glass of the windshield. I peer out the window, goosebumps running up my arms as I look out at the wet cobblestone road shimmering with the reflection of the moonlight.

Lucy leans forward, resting her arms on the back of the front seat. "Harry, it's been a pleasure." She extends her hand. With a little chuckle, he takes it.

"Likewise," he offers with a sheepish smile. Lucy flashes him a smile and then shifts her gaze towards Niall."

"And you," she says, giggling.

"Yeah, yeah don't mention it," Niall replies, bashfully. Even in the dark of the car I can see the red rising on the back of neck. "So listen," he adds, flipping his coat collar up. "I'll ring you this week."

I'm hit with a pang of jealousy. I wish Harry could ring me with no worry of Gran or Grandfather hanging up the phone.

"I'll do my best to be around," Lucy replies. "Thanks a million, darling!" She leans over the seat and plants a big kiss on his cheek. Niall just grins, not bothering to wipe the little red memory of her kiss from his skin.

"Come on Hazel!" she calls as she opens her door and hops out.

Collecting my hat and purse from beside me, I say to Niall, "Thank you so much for driving us."