Chapter Ten

The curly haired boy spins the chair around so the back faces me and sits down, arms folded across the top. The music blares, drowning out the sound of my suddenly pounding heart.

He's so handsome. I feel a blush creeping on.

His friend sits down gingerly next to Lucy and leans over the table to speak, his muscular shoulders accentuated by his suspenders.

"I hope you don't mind us boys coming over here," he begins, "but I couldn't help but notice there might be something in your eyes."

Lucy replies with a delicately raised brow.

"Don't say it, mate," Harry pleads. He runs his thumb over mouth and rubs his chin, a small smile peaking through the gesture.

His friend tilts his head to Lucy, and cheekily answers, "a sparkle."

He grins deviously, and Lucy lets out a flirtatious giggle. I shake my head in amusement as Harry rolls his eyes. "Niall Horan," he sticks out his hand to shake Lucy's.

"Lucy Wyndham," she replies as she squares her shoulders and takes his hand. Gesturing to me, she adds, "And this is my friend-"

"Ms. Chapman," Harry finishes her sentence. He turns to face me and I can't help but feel a little excited that he's remembered me. His mouth pulls at the corner into a playful smile, and the butterflies return.

"Hazel," I correct him. My voice luckily comes out even and strong.

"Hazel," he repeats with a little nod, his voice a deep and lush tone. The world of swirling dancers seems to fade away when he says my name, I can't help but smile back at him.

"Ah, so this is the American lass you were telling us about!" Niall interjects. Harry shoots a quick glance across the table, but Niall doesn't seem to notice. "You never told me she brought a friend," Niall says as he turns to face Lucy. Lucy and Niall begin to chat up a storm while I look at my feet. Harry mentioned me? He probably just said something about meeting his boss's granddaughter, but the fact that he's thought of me too has my cheeks blushing. I hope he doesn't notice.

Niall's jovial conversation pulls me from my thoughts. "So what brings a couple of lasses like yourselves all the way over here?" The question is for both of us, but he keeps his blue eyes on Lucy.

"The tea." Lucy replies nonchalantly, elbows propped on the table, resting her chin on her hands.

"Oh?" Niall asks with a glint in his eyes. He leans in closer towards Lucy, arms folded on the table. He knows there's a punch line to follow.

"Oh yes. Couldn't fine any hot or steamy enough," she cooly taunts. My eyes widen at her bold behavior, and I kick her foot underneath the table. She ignores my plea, as she bats her long lashes at Niall who laughs heartily at her reply. While it's obvious she's flirting, her motions come effortlessly, and I find myself somewhat jealous. She exudes confidence while I quietly make a polite smile at Harry.

Niall seems to be completely taken with Luce. "I do believe you've made an excellent choice of destination. Although, I don't think we're having tea tonight," he adds as the waiter leaves us the two drinks on the table. Lucy takes hers and sips delicately, leaving a faint red kiss around the rim.

"So are you going to ask me to dance or are you all words, Mr. Dictionary?" Lucy boldly asks, placing her glass back on the table.

"Excuse me," he taps his finger on the table, "I'm Mr. Man of Action." Lucy laughs at his declaration as Niall tosses his hat on to the table. "Now come with me, m'lady," he commands. Niall takes her by the hand, pulling her arm over her head. Lucy twirls as she stands up and the two quickly make their way onto the crowded dance floor.

"Those two make some pair," I laugh as I lean back into my chair, realizing that now it was just Harry and I.

Harry twists to watch them on the dance floor. He turns back to me and says, "You know, for all of his cheeky banter, I think she might actually give him a run for his money." He gives a little chuckle, and runs his hand over the back of his neck.

"Like you wouldn't believe," I laugh. I uncross my arms as my nerves begin to settle and rest hands in my lap.

"How'd you like the music, tonight?" He asks changing the subject.

"They've got a mean swing," I note, staring up at the band. The bandleader's arms wave frantically in the air and I chuckle slightly. "They remind me of home," I add with a delicate smile. I move forward a little in my seat and rest my chin on my hand, the other relaxed over my crossed legs.

"Are you homesick?" His eyes are soft and gentle, his gaze intent.

I pause for just a moment to think about the question and lower my eyes to look at my foot that taps to the beat. "Not tonight," I confess, raising my eyes to meet Harry's. His smiles grows and he reaches across the small space the separates us with his hand extended.

"Show an Englishman how it's done?" asking me to dance.

"Gladly," I playfully smile back. I take his hand, and electricity shoots through my whole body. He swings his leg around the chair to stand as he pulls me towards him. Taking my other hand he walks backwards as he leads me onto the dance floor. I laugh at his goofy grin as he begins to twist his feet. He's very tall, but not in the least bit awkward as he dances. He pulls me close bringing me but a few inches away from him, but I quickly prance backwards, kicking my feet out on the beat. The music grows louder, and suddenly I notice there's a crowd around us clapping.

In a quick, single move, Harry tugs me close and whispers, "Let's show em', eh?" He spins me away, and I smile at him ready to accept his dare. Our feet move in perfect sync, our bodies complementing each other as we move in and out from one another.

I've always been crowd shy, but it doesn't matter one bit to me that a whole audience is hooting and howling for us as I soar over the dance floor with Harry. I can feel my smile beaming as we keep our gaze locked on one another. As I twist towards Harry, I suddenly feel both of his strong hands around my waist, and am lifted into the air, my already too short skirt flying. He throws me around his body, my legs rhythmically kicking in the air, and catches me perfectly. The crowd goes wild, and Harry holds me close. I laugh gleefully as I hold on to his arms tightly, never wanting to let go.

He begins to saunter backwards, pulling me with him, as another couple takes center stage.

The band begins to settle as they gently ease into a cool slow number. Harry takes my arm back and places it around his neck. The gesture sends a nervous shiver up my spine.

"You're some dancer," he says, just loudly enough to be heard over the swell of the music.

"You're no two left feet, either," I laugh.

"How come I haven't seen you here before?" he asks.

"Grandmother gave me the night off. I reckon she wants me to enjoy my time here, but not too much," I laugh. "Do you come here often?"

"Every weekend or so. Not much else to do."

A boy who spends his weekends at a dance hall makes me a tad nervous. Who are all his other dance partners and what must they be thinking now?

When the number ends, he pulls apart from me, leaving me feeling terribly empty. He stands beside me clapping, and I slowly begin to feel my nerves again as the intoxication of our dance fades away.

I begin to walk back towards our table when a hand takes hold of mine- Harry's hand. I turn back to face him. Even with a little heel, I'm still a bit shorter than him and he hunches over slightly to meet my gaze. "Come on little bird, we're not done yet," he whispers to me. My smile grows and I all but leap into his arms as we twist our way into another dance. Our legs fly through the air as my laughter floats up to the heavens. As our bodies sway and swing together, I completely surrender myself to the exquisite way his eyes shine into mine. We continue to dance the night away, and I make a silent vow that no matter what, even if this is the only time I see Harry again, to never, ever forget the face of the beautiful boy who gave me the most spectacular feeling of being totally and completely free.