Chapter Nine

The taxi driver throws the vehicle into park and the car lurches forward to a stop. "Alright, here's your stop. Out, please." I can barely understand his english accent, but Lucy takes no time to push me out of the car. Hands down, this has been the scariest taxi ride of our lives. My hands are exhausted from gripping the car door handle and Lucy, who's just about the most carefree person I've ever met, has a look of utter terror on her face.

"Thanks so much," Lucy breathes out as she shoves me out of the car. Feet firmly planted on the damp cobblestone ground, we stand dumbstruck by our terrifying experience. Grandmother prepaid for the ride, so we don't need to hand him any money. Yet, even though I'm pretty sure we could have died, I still feel compelled to say a thank you or at least a goodbye. I open my mouth to say something but the taxi speeds off leaving us to choke on a trail of smoke from the tail pipe. Lucy and I stand there, mouths agape.

"I need a drink," Lucy says without moving. I nervously burst into laughter as Lucy's astonished face is glued into place.

We turn around and face the large brick building. Young couples hang on each others' arms underneath a large white sign that reads, "Moonlight Dance Hall." Lucy and I push our way through a whirlwind of handsome young men and dolled-up, laughing girls to get inside. The jazz band is on fire and the energy in the room is just as hot. A sea of pleated skirts twist into a colorful kaleidoscope as legs fly upwards and arms cling to strong shoulders. Now this reminds me of New York, I think to myself, my body already feeling the rhythm pull me into the song.

"Come on!" Lucy shouts over the loud orchestra band. "Let's grab a table to put our things on!"

We continue to push our way through the hot and sweaty crowd, finally finding an empty round table near the back of the dance hall right near where the eight piece band is placed. I begin to feel intoxicated just from the loud music played by the dapper twelve piece band. I take off my jacket and hang it over the back of the chair, taking in the marvelous sight of the great hall packed with dancers. Lucy sits down next to me and flags down a waiter with a delicate flick of her polished hand. Lucy has this way of owning her body that no matter how tiny the movement, she oozes with grace and sexuality. Me on the other hand, nearly fall out of my chair trying to move it closer to the table.

"Two Gin Rickeys," she smiles dangerously, holding up two fingers daintily says to the waiter who comes to our table. I roll my eyes at her and laugh, knowing she can't help herself. As we wait for our drinks, we lean into each other, trying to pick out a suitable dancing partner for each other.

"Don't look now," she hunkers over the table. "But I think you've caught someone's attention." She tosses her red curls with a slight head tilt towards the right. I tentatively look over and immediately recognize the eyes that are staring back at me. I whip my head forward again like a complete fool. Lucy lets out a laugh at my odd behavior.

"Lucy! It's him!" My heart nervously begins to pound. What is it about this boy that has my stomach tied up into a million little knots.? It wasn't like I was totally new to receiving attention; Billy McKee had taken me out a number of times. But Billy never made me feel so.. so.. I don't know what.

"Him, who?" Lucy asks, clearly amused by my embarrassed state.

"Harry!" I say quietly to her, my eyes begging her not to call him over.

"Who?" Lucy yells louder, not able to hear me over the loud brass section. I lightly toss up my hands as I shake my head. This is useless.

"Harry!" I yell louder this time, glancing to my right to make sure he isn't too close to hear. Harry is leaning against a high table across the dance floor, laughing with two men who look to be about the same age. All three of them are attractive fellows, but Harry definitely stands out amongst them. He looks cool and easy in a white button up with a matching brown button up vest and pair of trousers. His blue tie hangs loosely around his neck and his sleeves are rolled up. As girls walk by, they send flirty waves and hellos. Harry suddenly shifts his gaze from his friends back to me. He gives me a curious smile and I feel my pulse quicken.

"That's Harry? What I would do-"

"Don't finish that," I beg of her.

"Okay, well act calm because I think he and his friend are coming over here."

"What, why?"

"To kill us," Lucy mocks me. "To say hello, I'm sure." She sits up straight, chest forward, tossing her lovely curls. I glance over at the two men walking through the crowd. Harry keeps one hand in his pocket while the other pushes his messy short hair back into place. He strides in confidence while his friend pushes him slightly in jest. Before I can ask for any words of advice, I hear the chair next to me scrape against the wooden floor.

"Is this seat taken?" Harry's warm melodic voice asks.

"No," I say gently. I look up at him, getting a good look at his green eyes for the first time.

Oh boy, I'm in trouble.