32

32nd Chapter

Sometimes, Baekhyun hated himself for doing things without thinking. When he heard that the Princess was missing, he dashed to the forest even if his legs were already tired from strolling around all afternoon. It was almost evening and he could barely see a thing when he got inside the forest. He stopped running to try to catch his breath. Maybe he shouldn’t have rushed and grabbed a flashlight before going in but then he was worried about Eun Mi’s safety. Who knows what creatures are there?

“Eun Mi!” He tried calling for her as he walked but only the crickets answered him. Aside from it, it was silent. The noise of the people from the beach was muffled by the vast number of tall trees there. He started to be aware of the situation he was in. He was utterly alone there and as well as the Princess. He needs to find her soon, but how? He had no idea how wide this forest was and on what direction the Princess could have gone. He looked back at the way he took and there was no way he could distinguish the path because almost all the trees looked alike.

Smart move, ByunBaek. Now you don’t even know the way out. He hoped his friends would come to help and find him there. He began walking on a straight direction and continuously shouted the Princess’ name. She couldn’t have gotten that far, could she? He had hope that he would find her soon. He searched for signs and traces that could possibly lead him to her but with the spreading darkness, it was an almost impossible task to see.

He passed by a large tree and noticed a torn piece of white cloth stuck on its trunk. He took it off and stared at it. It was familiar to him and he tried to smell it. His nose immediately recognized the scent. It was torn from the Princess’ handkerchief. Why was it stuck there and why was it torn? He looked around and saw the same piece stuck on the next tree. He got it again and did the same to the other trees. It was creating a path and he had a feeling that it would lead him to the Princess. He continued to call her name as he followed the trail. He had gone pretty far from the beach now and it was too deep in the woods. To be completely honest, he was nervous and starting to feel scared because he had no idea what beasts and creatures where lurking behind those trees. No, Baekhyun. You’re just being paranoid. Stop being a sissy and just look for the Princess. He chided himself. But seriously, the forest was creepy especially when you’re all alone in the darkness.

The trail stopped at a very large tree. He looked around him to see if the Princess was close at the area but there was no one. “Eun Mi! Are you here?! Answer me!” He shouted but only the silence answered him. He began to feel anxious for her. Did something happen to the Princess that’s why the trail stopped?

He started moving again, going on the same straight path. Then, he caught movement from his peripheral vision on his right. He snapped his head towards the direction and strained his eyes to see. The moon is already high up in the sky so he was thankful for a shed of light it offered. From a distance he saw a small figure crouching down. “Eun Mi?” He took quick steps before bursting into a run, barely avoiding to crash into the trees that were in the way. “Eun Mi!”

She looked up from her position and he saw that she was rubbing her eyes. Was she crying? She was dimly lighted by the moonlight but he knew it in his heart that it was her. She had just stood up when he reached her. Before she could even say anything to confirm that it was her, he had already wrapped his arms around her and held her tightly.

“B-Baekhyun?” She croaked.

He was still panting from the run and exhilaration from the fact that he had found her. “Thank God you’re alright. I thought I would never find you.” He was so relieved that he just kissed her hair and continued to hold her in his arms.