43

43rd Chapter

Baekhyun sat beside the window, looking out into the afternoon sky. It looked calm and peaceful, and he wished his heart would be the same. Sure, he might look like he had nothing to worry about outside, but the truth was, he was not at ease. Ever since the Princess’ father called him.

He heard the door of the music room open and some people came waltzing in but he didn’t mind to greet them. His friends were talking about something he would probably be interested in joining in if he wasn’t deep in thought at that moment. Since most of them were members of the club, they would often gather up here even if some were from other clubs. Finals were over and the seniors were just waiting for graduation day to come.

“Oh, Baekhyun-ah, we didn’t know you are here.” Minseok said when they spotted him.

“I didn’t know you guys would be here, too.” He replied, a little unenthusiastic than usual, and his friends didn’t fail to notice.

Chen approached him with a quizzical expression. “Shouldn’t you be with your dear Princess? It’s a surprise that you’re not together.”

“She’s doing something with the twins. It’s some girl stuff, they said, so I didn’t bother coming.”

Luhan sat across him and studied his face. “Is it just me or are you uglier than usual?”

Baekhyun glowered at him. “Give me a break, hyung. I’m not in the mood for banter right now.”

“Luhan’s right. Not that you are ugly or anything, but you look different than usual. Is something the matter, Baek?” Suho asked in a worried tone.

“Everything’s fine.” He answered.

“You’re worried because Eun Mi’s father invited you to come at that major business gathering on Sunday.” Sehun stated, matter-of-factly.

Baekhyun’s eyes perked up. “How did you know I was..?”

“I overheard at dinner last night. Not that I care or anything.” Sehun replied, shrugging noncommittally.

“Well, isn’t that great that he’s inviting you? It’s like acknowledging you to be part of the family.” Tao remarked.

Baekhyun sighed. “I don’t know. I should be glad, but something’s a little bit off, you know? Like there’s trouble coming. The way he asked me on the phone, it’s like I had no other choice but to come and that there’s something in store for me.”

“Well, Baekhyun’s right to be suspicious. Mr. Bae doesn’t just invite anyone to come at those kinds of gatherings. You have to be worth something to him.. or.. he has some plans for you.” Luhan told him.

“He’s going to ask you to break up with Eun Mi.” Said Sehun, and everyone else gave him shocked looks. Baekhyun’s mouth was gaping open. “What? It’s just a hunch. And I’m crossing my fingers for it.”