Chapter Four

A/N: The music doesn't have anything to do with the chapter but I love it so... There you go :) 

I was walking down the hall, my sneakers making small tap noises as I did so, stopping once I came to a halt at the sound of conversation. "Hank turned that radar installation into a transmitter. It's designed to amplify brain news, so it could enhance your telepathic powers, help us find other mutants for our division."

"Knock knock." I said, bringing my presence to Charles's attention, along with the man in black. "I couldn't help but overhear as I was passing by..." I paused and sat in the seat next to Charles. "You can't send your workers to go find the Mutants."

The man in the black suit shook his head. "Who are we going to send, then? You?" He breathed out a laugh and I narrowed my eyes at him. "I'm sending my people, this is my facility."

"What if they don't want to be found by you?" Erik's voice came from the doorway.

I smiled and looked over at him. "Erik-"

"You decided to stay." Charles pointed out, cutting me off.

"If a new species is being discovered, it should be by its own kind. Charles and I find the mutants. No suits." Erik continued, pushing our observation to the side.

"First of all, that's my machine out there. Second of all, much more importantly, this is Charles' decision. Charles is fine with the CIA being involved. Isn't that right?" The man argued.

I looked to Charles, begging him to say no over and over in my head. And just for good measure, "Say no. You know how this will go if you say yes." I whispered.

"No. I'm sorry, but I'm with Erik. We'll find them alone." Charles said, giving me a quick nod of acknowledgement.

"And what if I say no?" The man asked with a bit of an attitude.

"Then you're stupid." I mumbled, and I swear I saw Erik smirk a little.

"What my friend, Riley meant to say was, Then, good luck using your installation without me." Charles corrected.

I shook my head. "That's not what I meant." I said while coming to a stand and walking out the door with the other three.

--Good Old Time Skip--

"I, uh... I call it Cerebro." Hank announced once everyone was in the radar installation. 

"You.." Charles chuckled.

"As in Spanish for brain." Hank explained.

"Yes." Charles nodded with a smile on his face.

I walked to the front of the console, leaning my elbows on the bars of the guard rails and listening to Hank continue his explanation of the device. "Okay, so, uh, the electrodes connect Charles to the transmitter on the roof. When he picks up a... Mutant, his brain sends a signal through a relay, and then coordinates of their location are printed out here."

"You designed this?" Raven asked, her eyes wide in astonishment.

"Yeah." Hank mumbled, his cheeks tinting red.

"I helped, don't you dare forget that, Hank!" I paused and looked over to Erik with a smile on my face. "I put the labels that tell you what everything is." I explained. 

Erik breathed out a small nose exhaled laugh before we both focused our attention on Charles who had put Cerebro on his head. "What an adorable lab rat you make, Charles."

"Don't ruin this for me, Erik." Charles scolded, his hands behind his back as he stood with the device on his head.

"Oh. I've been a lab rat. I know one when I see one." Erik added, copying my decision to lean on the bars.

"Okay. Great." Hank paused, checking the Cerebro on Charles's head. "Are you sure we can't shave your head?"

"Don't touch my hair." Charles ordered with a small smirk on his face.

Hank walked back over to the console, watching as the graphs went crazy. "Okay! It's working!"

"But how are the labels I put?" I joked, a shiver running up my spine when Erik's arm bumped into mine briefly.

A/N: I need to stop putting my personality into my characters that I create, man... They come off as sarcastic and rude xD This is shorter than I thought it was... I'll try to update again later!!