Chapter Six

"So...I'm basically here for if things go bad, yeah?" I asked from my spot between Erik and Charles. "Because I'm okay with that."

"You're more important than a backup, but yeah." Charles said awkwardly.

"We have a problem." Erik said through the momentary silence.

"I'm so sorry, this wasn't on the map." Moira explained with sadness in her voice.

"No matter what happens, act normally. I'll take care of this, all right?" Charles told us, lifting his hand to his temple.

"Wha-" I was cutoff by Erik's hand going over my mouth gently, him pulling me so that my back was to his chest. I was about to protest, but the doors to the back of the truck were opened by a soldier that had dogs who insisted on barking.

"Anything back there?" A voice asked the Soldier.

"Nothing. It's empty." The man said, closing the doors back up. 

I turned my head slightly to look at Erik and he let go of me, allowing me to pull away from his body. "How the hell did they not see us?" I asked Charles once we began moving again.

"I'm a telepath, I put a false image in his head." The disembodied voice of Charles said in my mind, catching me off guard and making me jump.

"Warn a girl, Jesus!" I stammered.

--Time Skip--

"Where's Shaw?" I asked quietly, my head leaning against my hands as we lay on our stomachs in the grass.

"I don't know. But if she's a telepath and I read her, she'll know we're here. Let me try something else." Charles explained before putting his middle and index finger to his temple. After a few moments, he spoke up. "He's not coming. So what now, boss?"

Moira sighed. "Now nothing. We're here for Shaw. Mission aborted."

"The hell it is." Erik countered.

I raised my hand slightly, looking to Charles and Moira. "Agreed."

"Riley-" Moira began, only to be cut off by Erik.

"She's his right-hand woman. That's good enough for me."

"The CIA invading the home of a senior Soviet official? Are you crazy?" Moira asked, her eyes looking to the two of us like we were crazy.

"All due respect, but we're not CIA." I noted, casually standing and jogging through the trees and towards the building. I stopped for a moment when the barbed wire began pulling the men away from their posts, turning behind me and seeing Erik making his way over to me. "Holy shit."

"We can either talk now and die, or we can run and live." He said as he waited for my response before we both began running again. He used his powers to open the gate arm, stopping only to pull two of the soldiers down the hill and take away their guns.

Once we began running again, I noticed one of them started to get up as I approached. I sighed and got ready. "Sorry!" I said quickly before kicking him hard in the face, knocking him out. I caught up with Erik after a few moments and we entered the building, my heart beating quickly with excitement. I heard more soldiers coming from around the corner and noticed he was about to take them out, causing my to put my arm out in front of him and shake my head. "I got this." I winked, sinking into the floor and using the sound of their footsteps as my guide to take them down. When I felt I was right under them, I surfaced and spun them around, using the butt of their guns to knock them out cold.

I made my way up the stairs, Erik not far behind, and pressed my ear against the door to what I guess is the bedroom. I turned around to see Charles had now joined the party. "She's in there." I said mere seconds before the two men barged in. I blinked and stood there for a moment, sighing before following them inside.

"Go to sleep!" Charles ordered, putting his hand out towards the man on the bed and using his powers to make him comply. The blonde woman we barged in here for immediately stood, going into some sort of diamond form. 

"You can stop trying to read my mind, sugar. You're never going to get anything from me while I'm like this." She explained before trying to escape, only to fail and be thrown into the foot of the bed, Erik using his Mutation to wrap the metal from it around her body to restrain her.

"So then you can just tell us. Where's Shaw?" Erik asked, wrapping another piece of the bed frame around her neck.

"Erik..." Charles warned, seeing that Erik was tightening it more and more as each second passed. "Erik, that's enough!" He ordered once the diamond around her neck began cracking.

Erik released her neck, turning towards us while she was back to normal. "She's all yours," He paused, walking behind us and sitting in one of the chairs with a glass of whiskey in his hand. "She won't be shifting into her diamond form again, if she does, just give her a gentle tap." 

Charles knelt down on the ground, his fingers on his temples as he read her mind. I sat on the table, my hands toying with the flowers in the center while we waited. "Beautiful, isn't it?" Emma asked after moments of silence passed.

Charles turned to me and Erik, fear clear in his eyes. "This is worse than we previously imagined." He said before turning back to her. "We're taking you with us. CIA will want to question themselves."