13

© Jojo B 2016

All rights including those in copyright in the content of this story are owned by Jojo B. It's Illegal to steal and/or copy.

______________________________________________________________________

*N.E.V* The Seven Deadly Simpson Brothers

13

(Picture is Phoenix)

I woke up when I heard the door creak open. I didn't know when I had fallen asleep but I could tell it was late, or should I say early?

"Anyone awake?" I heard Landon whisper.

For some reason, I hesitated from answering and I dimly saw Landon's silhouette walk further into the room and sit down in one of the armchairs. It was silent for a while and I thought I would fall asleep again, until Walter groaned and I was instantly wide awake.

"Walter, you okay?" his brother asked.

Walter grunted. It could have been a yes or a no.

"Coral came to see you," Landon said.

"When?" Walter asked in a husky voice.

"She's still here."

"What?"

"She's asleep in one of the sofas."

"What happened?" Walter questioned after a pause.

    "She was chased on her way home from work and came here for help," Landon explained.

    Walter's tone immediately hardened, "Santiagos?

    "Not that I know of," Landon answered. "They had stopped following her by the time she got here so I don't think so."

    Walter seemed to accept that reply and there was a silence, in which I felt myself slipping back into sleep.

"So tell me about the girl," Landon demanded.

"What about her?" Walter asked.

"What's she like?" Landon wanted to know.

    Walter didn't answer for some time and I began to grow uneasy, wishing I knew what he was thinking about me.

    "She's been through some shit," Walter finally answered. "I can tell."

    "Has she told you about it?" Landon questioned.

    "A little," Walter said. "But I know there's more that she hasn't said and I want to be the person she can confide in. You know? Sometimes that can help, and I care about her."

    "Care? " I could picture Landon giving Walter a smirk.

    "What?" Walter snapped back at him defensively.

    "Nothing, I just haven't heard you say that about anyone before, let alone a girl," Landon commented. "You must like her."

    "Shut up Landon," Walter muttered darkly, maybe embarrassed.

    "No," Landon laughed. "I don't think I will. You don't even say that you care about us, even though I know it's true. But you never say it."

    "And?"

"So I have come to the conclusion that my baby brother might possibly be falling in love for the first time," Landon said, I could literally hear the grin in his voice.