[2]

She sat down by the tree and took in her surroundings.

  It was bright and quiet. Exactly the way she liked it for a nice afternoon reading.

  "I'll finish much more today, " she murmured as she opened up her book. Her eyes jumped from word to word and made theories in her mind.

  But then, that stench once again filled her nose and she looked up.

  She wasn't surprised by the boy's presence.

  "Hello, again, " she greeted him.

  He sat in front of her, like yesterday, and gazed at the girl for a moment. Then, he nodded curtly and blew out a puff of smoke to the side.

  For some reason, she smiled.

  "Thanks for remembering to, you know, blow the smoke away from me."

  She looked back at her book, completely embarrassed, and turned the page.

  Then another.

  And another.

  Her eyes roamed over the words until she had about thirty-two chapters left. She calculated how many days it would take to complete them.

  Two days. That's not so bad, she thought. I would finish it by... Wait, what day is it again?

  She patted her jean pocket and sighed. It wasn't the first time she had forgotten her phone.

  "Um, excuse me, " she cleared her throat as she regarded him with a small smile. "Sorry to bother you. But do you know what day of the week it is?"

He gave her a calm, neutral look before holding up four fingers.

"Wait, so it's the fourth day of the week?"

He nodded.

"It's Wednesday, then."

He nodded.

She smiled. "Great, thanks."

He nodded.

She chuckled as she wondered if his neck ever hurt from nodding so often. Or was he silent only with her?

  Closing her book, she quickly shook the thought away and looked up at the sky. It was getting late. She hadn't realized how long it had been.

  "Well, have a good evening, " she smiled at him before walking away.

  But she couldn't help looking back.

  She was surprised to see him walking away also, in the opposite direction. She was confused too.

  Yesterday, he didn't leave as soon as she did. What was different today?