[14]

Something was different.

And this time, it wasn't good.

He watched as she walked over to him. Without the skip in her steps. Without the brightness radiating off of her.

"Hey, Rainy. Are you okay?" he asked her, his eyebrows furrowed in worry.

She nodded. "Of course."

"Alright, " he replied with uncertainty. They sat across from each other, like always, and she gazed at nothing in particular.

His eyes roamed over her figure. She was wearing her usual outfit: shorts, a tee, sneakers, and a thin jacket. Her hair was in a messy bun, no makeup added to her face.

So, what was different?

"Find any new books yet, Rainy?"

Her eyes darted over to him. "No, not yet."

"If you need any recommendations, I'd be glad to help, " he suggested but she shook her head.

"I'm good, Cig. Thanks, though, " she replied before gazing at nothing again.

Then, he realized.

Her smile.

She hadn't smiled at all so far. And she always smiled.

"Rainy?" he reached for her hand.

"Yeah?"

He frowned, wanting to feel her touch. "Come here, please."

"Okay. " She moved to his side and let him put his arms around her. Their legs tangled together, his head on top of hers.

"You know you can talk to me about...anything, right?" he asked her and she nodded slightly.

"I know. Same goes for you."

He softly caressed her cheek as she stared down at their intertwined hands. "Good."

After a moment, she whispered: "Cig."

His eyes remained closed. "Yes, Rainy?"

"I'm tired."

"I know, " he said soothingly. "Go to sleep, beautiful."

"Okay, " she sighed and shifted closer to him.

With her head on his chest, she fell asleep to the sound of his heartbeat.

"Rainy?" he called.

She groaned in response.

He chuckled, playing with her hair. "Come on, sleeping beauty. You got to go home now."

"Why?" she muttered, her voice groggy.

"Because it's past ten already. Katherine must be waiting for you."

  "She can wait a little longer."