Chapter 7

It wasn't like Calum to worry about the youngest of their pack. Of course he always had this sense of protecting his pack whenever it came to outsiders, but next to that, he shoved that task to Ashton. But with the words Michael had spoken the night before, well, those kept Calum up. And he already had trouble sleeping, so he didn't really need this.

The Beta had been thinking, because, was this something he had to tell Ashton, or did he forget about this? He was pretty sure Michael didn't want Ashton to know about this, at least not from Calum. If anyone had to tell the Alpha, it should be Michael himself.

Calum took a deep breath, knocking on the door he had been standing in front of, training his ears on any sounds that would come from inside. There was a little shuffling, before a soft 'come in' was heard, making the Beta open the door and step in. He closed the door behind him, looking up at the black haired boy on the bed.

Michael looked at the other, slightly confused and maybe a little irritated, but also somewhat fearful. What he had said to Calum the night before wasn't something he usually said and it made him afraid the Beta would bite back. It's what he always did anyway.

"Are you going to tell Ashton about what happened yesterday? And... about what made you say what you said?" Calum crossed his arms, his face quite expressionless as he awaited an answer.

Michael swallowed harshly, pulling his legs to his chest to make himself small, feeling intimidated by the other's presence. Calum saw Michael's doubt about the answer, making him narrow his eyes a little. "It's better if you tell him. At least about your progress."

Michael's heart fluttered a little at the thought of it. He had indeed made progress. Not much because he still changed, but it had indeed been progress. The black haired boy nodded, before furrowing his eyebrows a little and catching the Beta's attention. "What?"

"Why were you in your wolf form last night?" Michael asked, his eyes widening a little at how he had asked that question so carelessly. No way the Beta was answering that question without snapping. But to both their surprise, Calum kept calm and even shrugged. He then turned around and walked away, telling the boy: "not everyone needs to control it in their human form."

With those words, Calum left Michael to think over his words. They were true and he knew that, but he feared he would feel like a failure if he didn't control it in his human form. Plus, he'd never be normal. He'd always have to worry about the full moon and could never be under humans normally. Because honestly, he had been considering that a lot, lately. But maybe that was just because he didn't feel at home in this pack completely and somehow, that made him feel like he wouldn't feel at home in any pack.

As Michael let himself fall backwards, going back to scrolling on his phone, Ashton was busy in the kitchen, trying to make a list of things they needed to buy. He didn't even look up from it as Calum walked down the stairs (and not because Calum was being quiet). Not even when Calum spoke to him. "You should have a talk with Michael about yesterday."

Ashton let the words come in for a moment, before narrowing his eyes and finally turning to Calum. "Why do you say that?"

Calum shrugged, picking at his nails. "Isn't it what you always do? Asses things? It was full moon after all and like I said before, he lied when he said he could handle it."

"Why do you care? You do nothing but attack the boy, remember?" Ashton crossed his arms, secretly already having his thoughts about Calum's behaviour. And really, Calum was the Beta for a reason after all.