Chapter 8

Michael had been in the trance of doing things to progress. It was as if the full moon had triggered something in him, making him want to prove he could do this. That he could be a wolf.

Nobody really noticed as Michael tried to keep it a secret, so when something had progressed, he could make his pack happy instead of making them hope. Though, one person did notice Michael was doing something. They just weren't sure of what.

A few days after the full moon, Michael went out around lunch. The pack was going hunting soon again and Michael was trying to prepare himself. And today he had planned to catch a bunny. But without freaking out like last time.

He was just roaming the woods, for the first time enjoying being a wolf. But it was really just because as a wolf, his smell was heightened and it had just rained, which was his favourite smell, as said before. God, if he could smell it forever...

Soon enough he also picked up a small familiar scent, making his mind focus on one thing only again. Catch the bunny.

The white wolf lowered itself and approached the other animal, freezing when he sensed the bunny hearing him. His mind was completely blank, apart from the simple phrase that moved his body to the prey. And as he jumped and caught it successfully, killing it with his sharp teeth, a wave of success fell over the wolf. He happily walked towards an open spot, sitting down and placing the bunny in front of him, right before Michael let other thoughts back in. And maybe he should have waited.

The boy squeaked as he saw the dead bunny, walking backwards again and shaking his head, changing back and just like the other time, ending up against a tree while panicking. He tried to calm himself, knowing there was nobody but him now, but he kept shaking his head and he couldn't get the thoughts to go away.

Tears started stinging in his eyes, before rolling down his cheeks slowly, as he buried his face in his hands. He gasped for air, trying to even out his breath so he could calm himself. But panic had the overhand and didn't seem to disappear soon.

"Michael."

The black haired boy gasped at the sudden voice, his lungs taking the air gratefully, before begging for more. Another wave crashed over him, but this time hope. There was someone with him. Someone with a caring voice that seemed to want to help in.

"Michael? Please, can you look at me? Or give me a sign you can hear me?"

Michael whined quietly between his gasps, giving the other person the confirmation they needed. He felt a warm hand rest on his shoulder, making him relax slightly and be able to breathe in deeper.

"Focus on my voice. You're gonna be okay. You just need to try and take a deep breath in, hold it for a few and then let it all out."

Michael tried to follow the words, taking in a breath as deep as he could, before trying to hold it. He felt a bit as if he was suffocating, but as soon as he let it out, he felt better. He repeated the action several times, feeling himself calm down slowly as he focused on his breathing, counting how long he kept his breath in.

"You're doing great. Just relax your body and keep breathing." The voice said, it sounding clearer by now and making Michael furrow his eyebrows slightly as he tried to place a face with the voice, as well as focusing on his breathing. It was hard, but as he opened his red and teary eyes, lifting his head to see his saviour, everything clicked in his brain right before he looked him in the eye. "C-Calum?"