Chapter 9

"Get ready to hunt, boys."

All three heads moved up slowly to look at their Alpha. Ashton was already fully dressed, moving his eyes over his pack to make sure they all heard him.

Michael was the first to turn back to what he had been doing, which was scrolling on his phone. Because when did he not do that?

Calum nodded and went back to his breakfast, while Luke nodded and went back to watching the TV. Ashton simply nodded as well, walking towards the dining table, where Michael was sat with his phone and an empty plate in front of him.

"Had a good breakfast?" Ashton asked, trying to start a conversation. He noticed Calum freezing for a moment, before moving again, giving away he was probably listening. Michael didn't notice, but sighed quietly as he shrugged. "Sure."

"Are you okay, Michael?"

"Peachy." The black haired boy mumbled, trying not to let it sound sarcastic. Ashton furrowed his eyebrows somewhat sadly, knowing something was up. And it most likely had to do with the other dark haired boy in their pack. But, Ashton decided to ignore it for now and see how much he could get from Michael. "I didn't see you at all yesterday, were you out?"

Michael took a moment to respond, shrugging. "Yeah. Went on a walk."

"All day?" Ashton asked, surprised. He knew Michael wasn't an outdoor person, so he was genuinely surprised the boy would spend the whole day outside. Maybe on the rooftop, yeah, but walking?

"Yeah." Michael mumbled, sounding harsh almost. Just like he had actually meant it, but he knew he couldn't behave like that towards his Alpha.

"Oh, eh, wow, okay. So, got enough fresh air for the week or ready to hunt today?" Ashton awkwardly asked, not sure how to continue the conversation.

"We have to, don't we." Was Michael's answer, making Ashton frown and sigh. "In a way, yes, but no. You can wait a day, or a few, if necessary."

"I'm fine."

And as Ashton got up with a last few words, not only him and Michael knew that that had been a lie. But Ashton didn't want to push, so he left it at that, going to prepare himself. And maybe steal some kisses from his girlfriend, who was getting ready too. Normally she either went hunting alone, with one of the boys nearby as protection, or waited for the boys to bring her back something, but she wanted to join this time.

Ashton had been reluctant to agree due to the fact they still had a stranger in their house and he wasn't happy about letting her be alone in the house. But she promised to be quick about it and catch something small, while the boys went for bigger and would take it back.

Soon the whole pack was out, working together again like an oiled machine, this time Michael easier to go along. And maybe it was because he just wanted to try this once. And then if it failed, it would be his sign to give up. If this hunt would fail, he himself would fail.

"I smell a deer." Luke told the others, making the rest imagine how a huge grin would be on his face. They knew each other too well.

Ashton was quick to give out orders, making the boys split up. He even saw Michael walk off and take a position. It surprised him, but made him happy. At least the boy was progressing again.