Switch: Let Down

Real World

-MAKA'S p.o.v-
I run to the balcony pushing the mask back and out of my face. I wipe my eyes with my hands. Why do I even try, I mentally question with tears streaming down my face. I never belong anywhere, I'm always in the way. Tt's my fault when something bad happens. I only ever partially matter to anyone, I think sobbing, what's the point?..... I'm always.... just in the way.......

I hear the clinking of the library door and familiar footsteps entering the room. "Maka...," the person calls hesitantly coming deeper into the library.

I turn and look out over the terrace still with tears streaming down my face. Why does it even matter?.... I always try to pretend I'm alright and force a smug grin, I think wiping my eyes staring at the lights illuminating Death City in the night sky, but why?..... Why do I even try?.... Who am I try to fool?....

"There you are," a voice says calmly as the person slowly approaches me from behind sounding partially out of breath from running. I keep staring out into the night sky. Why? Can't I just fade away?..... I'm sure it'd be better for everyone, if I did.

"What's wrong," the person says leaning against the balcony's railing beside me, "Maka?"

I keep staring out over the terrace without a word or turning to look at the person. There's no point in talking..... I don't even really know why I'm even crying..... I know, I'll only ever partially matter and all I am is a supporting character in everybody else's story, but why did I decide to cry about it this time?....... I should stop expecting so much out of life, I think wiping my eyes, I'm not meant to have a happy ending.....

"Maka," the person says reaching out and turning my face to face them, "you may be another Maka, but that doesn't change the fact that you're my friend......."

I stare into Black*Star's face biting my lip. What do I even say?..... I don't ever talk to anyone besides Soul..... I feel the tears streaming down my cheeks as I stand there speechless.

Black*Star draws his lips into a line as he pulls me towards him. He wraps his arms around me leaning his chin on my head as I stand there utterly speechless and wide eyed. He suddenly starts speaking quietly, "I don't know why you're crying and you don't have to tell me....... but I want you to know, you're the first ever friend I made and I hate seeing you cry......... I know you aren't my Maka, but you're still Maka and same thing goes........ I don't know what to say to make you feel better, because I don't know what's going on and even if I did, I probably still wouldn't have a clue......." Black*Star hugs me a bit tighter before pulling away slightly and looking directly at my eyes, "talk to me......... I feel useless when you cry and I can't do anything........ Even if I can't give you advice, I'll listen....." I fist Black*Star's jacket, sobbing.

It's not fair, I think sobbing, it's not fair.... When I don't matter to anyone in my world, I matter here.....even if I'm not actually their's, I think sobbing harder, I matter more here.......it's not fair!!!! I grit my teeth as I sob harder, it's not fair!!!!!!!

~Black*Star's P.O.V~
I feel Maka fisting my suit's jacket as I hug her and she buries her face in my chest sobbing. I don't know what's wrong.....

I hate seeing her cry, I've only ever seen her do it three times...... Now and two times when we were younger..... Once when she fell off the top of the jungle gym and the we were supposed to go to the carnival......

Me and Maka were at the Death City Café getting ice cream..... We were sitting at a table, close to the front window, waiting for Maka's dad to come get us so we go to the carnival... We were talking when all of a sudden, I saw tears in her eyes as she looked past me and outside the window......