Epilogue

Kirstin

"Mitch, please," I dragged out the last word, trying to drag the beautiful brunette off the sofa. "Mitch, get your ass up! We're going out, whether you like it or not."

"But I don't wanna..."

"Trust me, you'll wanna..." I muttered under my breath.

"Why?"

"Curse your falcon hearing!" I joked, internally kicking myself. "You just will, come on!" Having sparked his interest, he stood up, getting ready to go. I jingled my keys at him and he sighed dramatically before I rolled my eyes, grinning. Drama queen. He followed me out of the door and into my tiny car.

"Where are we even going, KT?" He whined. I ignored him.

I swung my car into the almost empty parking lot and backed into a space, pulling my key out of the ignition. "Okay, honey. I can't come with you and I can't tell you what's happening. Just know, it's from Scott, and it's very exciting." I grinned at Mitch's bewildered face and we got out of the car. I lead him to the start of the path, where there was a white balloon with a Polaroid attached, and squeezed his shoulders.

"Good luck, honey." I was beaming and I think some of my eagerness rubbed off on him and he rushed to read the caption on the picture. "Follow the balloons." I called after him and backed up to my car.

Mitch

Kitty wandered back to her car and I began to read the familiar writing on the photo. It was a selfie from when Scott and I first dated, with his baby face grinning and me kissing his cheek. It read:

Mitch;
I love how you get so excited of the small victories. I think it's adorable. I think you're adorable.

I smiled at the picture and the caption attached to the white balloon. Next to the image, a small note was written on the balloon:
"Mitch, keep all the photos- you'll want them. Follow the path of balloons to find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I love you x"

I untied the Polaroid and looked up the path to see another white balloon and I legitimately had to stop my self from skipping up to it. I settled, instead for jogging to it, a smile, wide and anticipating, on my face.

--

I looked at the huge stack of Polaroids I was struggling to carry. Damn my tiny hands- it was probably no trouble for Scotty, with his beyond capable, enormous hands. Scott. I couldn't count the number of things he did for me every single day; he'd get my Starbucks, dry my towel, drive me everywhere and anywhere; he'd put a smile on my face that only got wider throughout the day; he'd record all my shows when I was too tired or hungover; he'd kiss me at every possible opportunity. I loved him with all of my heart. And to top it all off, he'd organise romantic walks, and legendary dates and things like a path of Polaroids- half of the photos I didn't even know were taken. They were secret pictures of me and my friends laughing, or Scott and I snuggled up (I assumed KT took those), or pictures with the band where we were completely oblivious, the foreground blurred out to expose us laughing, or cuddling, or kissing. If it had been anyone else, it would have come off as creepy and desperate but I loved Scott more than I could possibly say, and there were times he just made me fall way back in love with him.

I rounded a corner on the path to see a cluster of balloons tied to the top of a beautiful house, and each one had black scribbles of Scott's handwriting. I walked up to the door to see a sign taped to the door, and an empty basket underneath.

"Baby;
Step inside to be cosy and warm and free your hands from the stack,
There's a surprise on the table but you must wait till I come back.
I love you more than anything and I have something to share with you, but just wait and see,
But I know you hate waiting so here it is...

This house belongs to you and me.

Xoxo, Scott.

"What? Are you fucking with me, Scooter?!"

KT popped her head round the door.

"Nope!" She bounced. "Now come see your fantasy dream house!"

My face was flustered in bewilderment as I followed a skipping Kirstie through the door.

It was magical.

It was a perfect combination of cute and quirky and I loved it; the sultry wallpaper and the cutesy disney cushions; the vintage fireplace with our Beyoncé painting hung above; the king size bed and the fluffy onesies hanging on the doors of our matching walk in closets. My favourite room was by far an empty one at the end of the hallway.

It had three dusky red walls, with the other, furthest from the door, covered with a monochrome world map. Carefully placed were pins, with retro strings and coloured pictures, showing every city we'd ever performed in, the largest cluster of photos pinned to Arlington. There was a balcony on the left side, with huge glass doors and sheer black drapes. It offered the perfect view of the city, not far off, just inside the city border. There was nothing else in the room, nothing special, and yet I couldn't help but feel it was the perfect place to be.

I stepped out onto the balcony, a content smile on my face and fresh air in my lungs.

"I knew you'd choose this one," a young mans voice called to me. I recognised it well. I turned round, facing the inside of the room and there was a small table in the centre of the previously empty room. Atop it, a vase with a single stemmed rose, a deep, enchanting red and a cream note.

Mitch,

I'd be lost without you.
I would never survive.
Don't think I won't tell you
How glad I am you're alive.

There's nothing I love more,
No one can compare
To the feelings that I get
When you're right there.

It's a funny feeling, Mitch,
It's hard to explain,
But when I'm around you
You make me feel sane.

You picked me up from my darkest times
When I felt the most low,
And you've helped me see the highs
And that feeling only grows.

But there's something I should say,
I've wanted to for a while,
But I was so nervous to see
A frown or a smile.

Mitch, I'm so glad I'm with you,
I'm so glad I finally see
I want to spend my life with you...

"Mitch, will you marry me?"

I whirled round to see Scott on the balcony on one knee, a velvet box in his hands.

"Are you fucking kidding?! Yes! A hundred times yes!" I kissed him clumsily, my cheeks flushed and he slid a beautiful rose gold ring onto my left hand.

---

5 months later

"And coming in at Number One for the sixteenth week running... Will You Marry Me? by Pentatonix!"

---

Wedding Day

"I do."

"I do."

And for a second there, I thought I saw a flash of envy in KT's eyes...