•4•

"Haylee! Get up! Get up!!!" Dad yells jumping on my bed and shaking me.

"What? Why! What time is it?" I ask slowly opening my eyes. "9:39 am! You should be up anyway! Our plane leaves in an hour!" Dad says excitedly.

"Okay. I'm up. What's so exciting?" I laugh. "Tomorrow. 10:30 am. Charlotte. You. In a stock car." Dad says adding dramatic pauses.

"Really?" I ask smiling. "Would I lie about something like this? I think not. Yes! Tomorrow!!! All my teammates and Hendrick is gonna be there." Dad smiles.

"That's a lotta pressure, dad." I say. "Yeah, but if you like it, you got the job!" Dad says, still smiling.

I nod my head. But what if I don't like it? Dad is gonna be so sad.

"Okay.." I say and grab a bag and start packing.

*arrive home.

"Gus! Here boy!" Dad yells when we walk in the door and our dog, Gus, runs towards dad and almost knocks him on the floor.

I start laughing. "That's a good boy." Dad says and starts to pet Gus.

I walk to my room and throw my stuff down. When I look out the window, I see some trucks pull up. I recognize all of the trucks as dads teammates.

"Looks like we got company, dad!" I yell from upstairs and start walking to dad.

"We just got home. What the hell." Dad says and opens the door to reveal Jimmie Johnson, Kasey Kahne, and the one and only, Chase Elliott.

"Hey y'all!" Dad smiles and lets everyone in. We all sit down and eat some lunch, talking over small stuff.

"So, Haylee, you excited for tomorrow?" Jimmie asks. "Yeah. Hard to believe I am actually excited, but I am." I smile and I catch a glimpse of dad smiling.

Chase holds my hand over the table. "Woah woah woah! What is happening here?" Kasey says freaking out.

"We are together, Kase." I smile. "For how long?" Jimmie asks. "Since yesterday." Chase smiles. "If you hurt her, you're dead Elliott." Kasey says eyeballing Chase.

"He knows." Dad says looking at Chase. Chase and I look at each other with shocked faces. "Okay. Anyway, lets talk about something happy now, like bunnies or something." Jimmie laughs.

The guys keep talking and I whisper to Chase "you wanna go outside away from all these people?" He nods.

"Hey Chase and I are going outside." I say and grab Chase's hand before anyone could say anything. We go to the way back behind the house.

"Nice and peaceful out here" Chase smiles and sits on the chair next to me. "I know. Do you remember when we were little and I had a tire swing out here?" I laugh.

"How could I forget? You spun me in that thing so fast I was sick for days!" Chase says. "Oh yeah. I forgot about that." I laugh

"It wasn't funny." Chase groans. "Yes it was." I laugh. "Remember the time you came over to my house and we were in my backyard racing 4 wheelers?" Chase asks.

"I remember that because I kicked your ass in that race." I smirk. "Oh shush. Only cause I let you win!" Chase says crossing his arms, proudly. "Bull shit. I won that fair and square you jerk." I laugh.

"Those were good times, Hay." Chase smiles, reminiscing. "We are still going to have good times, Chase. Probably even better times, since we are together." I smile, leaning my head on his shoulder.

"I agree, Hay." Chase smiles. "Come back to earth!" Dad yells from the back porch window. "We are coming, Dale!" Chase yells back.

"I don't wanna go back in." Chase whines. "Me either, but we better before Kasey comes out for us." I laugh. "Agreed. Lets go back in." Chase says grabbing my hand, leading me inside.

*next day.

"Okay. Here is the break, the clutch, the shifter, the ignition, the-." Dad trails off. "I got it, dad." I laugh. "Okay. Just making sure." He says and I climb into the car.

"Wow. You look good in one of these." Chase says looking at me through the window.

"The car, or the firesuit?" I ask. "Both." He says winking. I laugh at him as I hear in my helmet to start the engine.

Greg Ives is talking me through all this.

"Have fun out there, honey." Dad smiles and buckles my last seatbelt.

"Thank you, dad." I smile at him. He looks so proud of me. I see the other guys sitting behind the pit wall, waiting for me to take my 4 laps.

"Okay, Haylee. Start this slow through pit road, and speed up when you get to turn one. Roll off." Greg says. "10-4." I say.

I know all the guys are wearing scanners to hear all this. And they can talk to me too, if they wanted.

"Okay, you're doing great, Haylee! Accelerate...now!" Greg says and I speed up to 170 mph.

"Ease up on the gas, downshift this corner. Okay, now go go go!" Greg instructs again.

"This is really fun, guys!" I smile. "This lap, I'm not going to say one word. You do what's natural to you." Greg says

"10-4." I go as fast as I can for this lap. "Fastest lap of the day! Good job!" Greg says and I pull back down pit road, and unhook my helmet and steering wheel.

When I get out, they all surround me and ask me if I liked it or enjoyed it.

"Dad. Can I talk to you alone for a second?" I ask. "Of course." He says and takes me off to the side.

"I really liked the feel of driving a stock car. I made my decision." I say and dad is dying of suspense.

"I will do it." I smile and dad starts cheering for joy. "This is the best day of my life!" He says and kisses my forehead.

We go back to everyone and dad yells "my daughter is going to continue the legacy!!"

Everyone looks at me with wide eyes, and dad looks proud and Hendrick is happy.

"You will make a great addition to the team. Welcome to the team, Haylee. You will start next season." Hendrick smiles.

"Thank you, sir." I smile and Chase comes over to me and kisses me hard.

"I am so proud of you, babe. I am so happy we will be teammates!!" Chase squeals. "I'm so excited." I smile.

"Oh no. New rookie on our hands." Kasey says shaking his head and I smack him on the shoulder. "Ow." He laughs.

"You will make a great addition." Jimmie smiles. "Thank you, Jimmie." I smile and hug him. I turn to dad, and I swear I see a tear trail down his cheek.

"Are you crying?" I ask. "No. Just something got into my eye is all." Dad says wiping his eyes.

I give him a hug and he whispers "I wish your grandpa was here for this moment." "He is. He is always here." I whisper back and he hugs me tighter. "Your mom would have been so proud of you." Dad adds. "I know, dad." We pull away from the hug and everyone is so excited for me as the new addition to Hendrick Motorsports.