•6•

*Friday. Darlington.

I wake up to an empty motor home. I look at the time and I realize I missed practice.

"Dads gonna be mad." I say to myself and grab some food and a drink and sit at the table.

As I am about to put the dishes in the dishwasher, dad comes in.

"Took you long enough to get up." Dad laughs. "Sorry, dad. I had a long night last night."

"It's okay. Just tomorrow, could you come out for qualifying? Gray Ghost is doing awesome." "Yeah. Of course!" I smile.

"Good. Do you want to go out to eat tonight?" He asks. "Sure. Is it gonna be just us?" I ask.

"If you want it to be." He says and leans against the table drinking a Gatorade. "I do. We haven't had time together for a while."

"Okay, then party of two it is!" Dad says and ruffles up my hair and goes to take a shower.

A long boring day goes by. I have only talked to Chase once today. I guess he is really busy so he doesn't have time to talk.

I get ready for dinner, and when I get done, dad walks out all ready too.

"Lets go." Dad smiles and we walk to his truck. The ride was really quiet and awkward.

"Why are you so quiet?" Dad asks glancing off the road to look at me. "I don't know. Why are you so quiet?" I laugh.

"You're right. I don't know. I guess I'm just so content with my life, I didn't think I had to talk." He smirks.

"I will go with that answer." I laugh causing dad to laugh. "Don't copy me. I'm the superior." "Too late. I've already copied." I smile.

Dad shakes his head and pulls up to a diner. Once we get our food, dad starts talking racing. As usual.

"I can't wait for next season. I wonder what your sponsor is going to be." He says drinking his Mountain Dew.

"I don't know. I just hope it isn't sexist whatever it is. I hope it's something simple, like dog food or something." I laugh.

"Dog food? Who the hell wants dog food as their sponsor?" "Me."

"You are such a strange child." Dad laughs. "Thanks. I get that from an equally strange father." "Touché."

"Just stating the facts, father." "I know. I have accepted the fact that I have a very sassy and sarcastic daughter on my hands."

"That you do." I laugh.

We finish eating and head back to the motor home, and there's Chase, sitting on the steps.

"Chase!" I yell walking towards him. "Hey!" He smiles and gets up to hug me. "Do you need something?" Dad asks.

"I just wanted to come ask Haylee if she wanted to come back to my motor home with me?" He asks

"Yeah, sure! Bye dad! See you later!" I smile and begin to walk with Chase. "Okay, bye!" Dad says and watches Chase and I until he can't see us anymore.

"I was sitting on the steps for about 3 hours. People kept coming up to me asking if I needed anything, like I was running away or something." Chase laughs.

"People are strange, let me tell ya." I laugh. "Agreed. Want something to eat or drink?"

"Water please." I say and before I know it, I'm catching a bottle of water. "Thank you, sir." I smile.

"Oh, now I'm sir?" He asks sitting next to me and winking. I flick him on his forehead

"Ow! What was that for?" He asks rubbing his now red forehead. "Cause you're being a flirt."