•7•

"Where have you been? I have been worried sick Haylee!" My dad yells, and it causes people to stop and stare.

"Chase, Ryan, and I went on a road trip." "And you think comin back at 11:30 at night is a smart thing, Elliott? We have a race tomorrow! Be smart!" Dad yells.

"Dad don't bring Chase into this! It wasn't his fault his truck-" "oh, now it's his trucks fault that you came back so late?"

"Dale, my truck died when we got close to Columbia. We had to call Brad so he would come and give us a jump so we could come back." Chase says calmly.

"Why didn't you call me?" Dad asks. "This is the reason. You are freaking out. I'm sorry we came back so late. It was all a misunderstanding." I say.

"Well, I will let it go this time, but if it happens again, there are gonna be consequences." Dad says.

"I'm sorry." I say again. "I'm the one who is the most sorry, Dale." Chase says. "It's okay, I just think we all need to go to bed. Haylee, hurry back." Dad says and walks back to the motor home.

"I'm really sorry. I didn't mean for you to get in trouble." Chase sighs. "It's okay, I had fun. Don't worry about him. I can handle it." I smile and kiss Chase.

"Okay. I love you." Chase smiles. "Love you too, you're a handful." I laugh. "Thanks. See you tomorrow." "See ya." I smile and walk back to the motor home and the lights are all off, so I just crawl into bed and let sleep take over.

*next morning. RACE DAY SATURDAY! DARLINGTON!

I really love Darlington. The atmosphere is amazing, and also dressing up is always a plus.

I find a Dale Sr. throwback shirt, and I find some high wasted shorts and put them on. Of course I wear my grandpa's shirt proudly.

I put on red lipstick and do my eyeliner cat-eyed, and put my hair into a high pony tail.

I look good.

I walk out of the bathroom and dad smiles at me. "Nice shirt." He says. "Thanks. Nice firesuit."

"Thanks." This couldn't be more awkward. We haven't spoken to each other since the explosive fight we had last night.

"So, um, do you want to go down to the track with me?" Dad asks.
"Yeah, sure. Let me grab my phone and shoes." I say and run back to my room.

The light on my phone just shut off, and I check it.

From: Chase 😍
How are you and Dale?

To: Chase 😍
More awkward than ever. We are going down to the track right now.

From: Chase 😍
Okay, see you there!

I lock my phone and shove it in my pocket and put my shoes on and go back out to the door and dads not inside.

I open the door and he is outside talking with Kasey and Jimmie.

"Hey Haylee!" Kasey smiles and hugs me. "Hi Kasey." I laugh. "We heard what happened last night with you and Chase." Jimmie says.

"So is that why Chase isn't over here?" I ask. "Yeah." Dad says. "Can you please just give him a break? His truck broke down, don't blame him." I say.

"He is the one who had the idea to drive around." Dad adds. "Can we please just forget about it and move on? All is good now." I say.

"You're right. We have a long day ahead of us so we better get going." Dad says and we all head to the garage area.

We are planning on spending all day down here till the race at 6.

I see Chase in his garage that joins with Brad.

When I walk in, Chase is sitting on a stool as his crew works on his car.

"Haylee." Chase says and gives me a hug. "Hey Chase." I smile. "Dale is still mad isn't he?" Chase asks sighing.

"For now, yes. And he told Jimmie and Kasey. But he will get over it." I say. "I hope so." Chase sighs.

"It will be okay, in a few days, maybe even later today, he will be fine."

"Good." Chase says. "Hey guys!" Brad says walking into his stall. "Hey Brad!" I smile. "Hey!" Chase says.

"Did you guys get home safe last night?" Brad asks as he changes into his firesuit.

"Yeah." Chase says. "Dale was mad wasn't he?" Brad asks zipping it up and sitting on a stool.

"Yep." I say. "I'm sorry. That sucks." Brad says as Paul Wolfe, his crew chief comes up to him and starts talking to him.

Before I know it, it's already 5:45, time for prerace ceremonies.

I go and stand with dad because I want him to not be mad anymore.

I walk over to him and he looks at me confused. "Shouldn't you be with Chase?" Dad asks

"No. I want to stand with you today." I smile and he smiles at me.

After all of the ceremonies are over, I turn to dad and give him a hug. "Good luck today." "Thank you." He says and gets into the car and I go up his pit box.

"I thought you weren't going to be up here today." Greg laughs. "I am though." I say grabbing a headset.

*after race

I climb down the pit box, and head for my dad who finished 3rd behind Jimmie. Kyle Busch won.

I go and hug him.

"We will get it next week." Dad says. "Yes we will." I smile and I see Chase.

"Go over to him. I'm not mad." Dad whispers. "You sure?" I ask. "Yes I'm sure. Go to him before he walks away." Dad laughs.

"Thanks. Love you dad." "Love you too." He says and I walk over to Chase.

"Hey loser." I say and wrap my arm around his waist. "Hey extra loser. Is Dale still mad?"

"Nope. He is okay now." I smile. "Thank God." He sighs in relief.
"Wanna go get some ice cream?" I ask.

"Ice cream?" Chase asks with amusement. "Yes. I have some ice cream in the motor home I can grab and we can go to your place?" I ask.

"Sure! I will see you then!" I smile and run to the motor home and go straight to the freezer.

"What you getting?" Dad asks walking into the kitchen. "The ice cream." "Why do you need that?" Dad laughs.

"Take it over to Chase's." I state. "Okay, have fun." Dad laughs and Kasey calls for him in the living room.

"Of course Kasey is here. I will have fun." I laugh. I leave with the tub of ice cream and head over to Chase's.

When I get over there he is in basketball shorts and a t-shirt. "I brought the ice cream." I smile holding the tub up and Chase goes to the kitchen to grab spoons.

"We're weird. Eating ice cream at midnight." Chase laughs.

"I couldn't think of us any other way." I smile and eat more ice cream.

Hey guys! please comment and vote! I would love you to hear your feedback!