Chapter One

It was seven thirty on the dot, the sun had begun to set unusually early. I threw a twenty at the driver and exited the taxi, watching it drive off in a hurry to leave me standing at the base of the building. KWAN read the sign, which was large, bulky and not a good representation for a supposedly four star restaurant.

"Damn glass." I blinked at the windows, the glass revealed a muddled reflection, but regardless I scanned myself in the makeshift mirror. My yellow dress, softened with a black belt highlighted my thick waterfall of hair which was held together by a gold clip. I had heard from an incredibly reliable source that the restaurant was considered the hottest restaurant in Melbourne this week. Whenever I walked into work to talk with my editor or conduct an interview, I visited my good friends to catch up on the hot topics. So when I was invited to attend an engagement dinner at KWAN, I turned to my pal Jeanette.

"Superb," she told me, "absolutely superb." The highly acclaimed food critic blabbered on. "It is classic Chinese at its best. If you live in the city and have not been to this place, you don't belong here." As usual she followed that claim with not you of course, sweetie. Working for one of Melbourne's most popular magazines had its perks. I had sat across members of parliament, discussed the contributions of millionaires and influential members of society. All of my work was displayed on two pages in the Melbourne Residential. I found myself staring at the window with an awkward and slightly confused expression.

"Fuck." Oh gosh, what have I done? My lips trembled as I stared in horror, I look like a bee. Yellow and black wasn't the best choice. I'm the Queen Bee, complete with pretty hair and a sparkly purse. I shook my head, gathered myself and walked into KWAN. Mild music touched my ears, and the heavy scent of jasmine filled my nose. I approached the hostess, a small and petite woman with too much mascara.

"Hello, do you have a booking?" She blinked.

"I'm here for Bradley Scott and Marissa Tutt." I peered at the large sheet with bookings. Behind her a man coughed, poking his head around the corner.

"Stacey!" He called. Bradley held out his arms, stepping through the growing crowd. "She's with me."

"Of course sir," the hostess eyed.

"It's good to see you Bradley." I threw myself at him.

"You too Stacey, it's so great that you came." He held my waist, steering me around a concrete divider. A long and elegant table came into view, covered in pretty white flowers and tiny candles. It was almost full, with four or five seats left empty.

"I can't believe it's your engagement party." I stopped, placing my hand on his cheek with a smile. He still had the curly chocolate hair and cute grin from university. I stared into his hazy blue eyes, breaking the contact a second later.

"I know right," Bradley sighed. His bride-to-be approached us with a wary expression.

"Stacey, it's so nice to see you." Marissa grinned coldly. I never liked the black haired, green eyed witch, she always thinks I'm up to something.

"Take a seat there, I saved you the best spot." He winked. I plonked myself next to him, dropping my purse onto the table. Waitresses in identical grey uniforms circulated the table, offering guests flutes of champagne. I politely refused, pouring myself a glass of water.

"Who are we waiting on?" I asked. The seat next to me remained empty.

"Marissa's friend from university. The food will be arriving soon." He frowned. I'm lucky I arrived early.

"He'll be here," she assured. Twenty minutes later I was already tired and famished, attempting to fill up on water and spring rolls which were surprisingly delectable. Sneakily, I licked my fingers but despite my efforts, Marissa caught me and grimaced.