Chapter Twenty-Two

The house phone rang loudly through the apartment, seeping under my bedroom door and reaching my cold ears. I need to change the temperature. With an annoyed expression I stumbled out into the kitchen and peered at the phone. I couldn’t recognise the number, so I let it ring. I can’t count how many times my phone has rung in the last few weeks. I’ve lost track of the days, weeks, all I know is that it’s December. Like the week before Christmas or something. I remember picking up the phone probably a week ago when Gavin called. There was some big issues with some writers or photographers or designers, so I wouldn’t be writing for the last piece. To make it easier, it’ll be a throwback magazine detailing the significant events of this year. I couldn’t care less right now, I was all about writing, not for the magazine or for other companies. I was writing the one thing I’d been asked countless times. I was writing my first book, and I’d told no one.

“Hooray, fifty.” I said lamely at my screen. I’d just gotten to fifty portrait pages, at size eleven with the default font and with almost thirty-three thousand words. Considering this is my first attempt at a novel, I thought I was going well. All day I sat at my desk and typed away, only getting up when it was completely necessary. When I wasn’t writing, I was feeling guilty. Hal, Lindsey, even Brodey called countless times and I hadn’t answered. Lindsey left angry messages, Brodey’s made me feel guilty, but Hal’s crushed my heart. I’d let him to believe he’d done something. I wanted to call and tell him things were fine, but I couldn’t break away from the book.

“Ugh,” I ignored the hunger and guilt, and continued. The creative thoughts and juices flowed and blossomed in my mind, seeping down into my fingers. My ears were filled with the glorious sound of my keyboard, until a loud click and shuffling caught my attention. Hesitantly, I saved and closed the document. With cautious eyes I approached the door and glanced out.

“The kitchen is empty,” Lindsey observed. “I don’t know what she’s been living on.”

“Thank Christ we brought food.” Hal sighed. I stepped out into the main hallway as Hal and Lindsey set plastic bags onto my kitchen table. They looked up and gasped, staring first at my hair and the rest of my body.

“Jesus.” My sister was gobsmacked. “How long has it been since you’ve had a shower Stacey?” Did I smell?

“I don’t remember.” I felt slightly disoriented. The smell of freshly cooked chicken reached my nostrils.

“You’re not touching anything until you clean up. Christ, you look like you’ve lost five kilos. What’ve you been eating?”

“Uh,” I couldn’t answer her. Lindsey dumped her bags and shoved me into the bathroom.

“Shower now. When you come out, you’d better be glowing.” Lindsey ordered while Hal stood there.

“There’s nothing wrong.” I fought her.

“Everything is wrong, look!” She pushed me in front of the mirror. My hair was knotty, skin gray and slightly oily, and it did appear that I’d lost a few kilos.

“Oh shit, you’re right.” This needs to change now. No excuses.

“You know I am. Hurry up, we brought food.” Lindsey stomped out and slammed the door. I turned on the shower and made the water warm, smiling as the steam touched my skin. While the water ran I brushed my teeth, scrubbed my face and prepared my razor to get rid of my unkempt areas.

“Better.” Lindsey complimented when I reappeared. My hair was healthy and tied back, my face clean and I was in fresh clothes. Hal walked up and hugged me tightly, pressing his cheek to mine and kissing my neck.

“Did I do something?” He led me to the table, which was set with washed cutlery and large packets of delicious food.

“No, I’ve been occupied.”