Chapter Twenty-Seven

Hello people! Sorry about being so late! It has been a very weird week, ugh. Before we continue, I'd like to address something. What happened with Stacey when she overheard Joel telling the mum to be proud and happy, was a real event. Personally, I don't know what happened with the family, but the suicide was real. I just want to say to everyone out there, suicide does not have to be an option, ever. There will always, ALWAYS be people there for you. If you or anyone you know are enduring similar situations, please call your local suicide hotline, or please approach a professional. They will help, I promise.

Thank you all for you suggestions for Stacey's book title! I have chosen 'The World Anew' suggested by @Lyricalprincess Again, thank you very much!

Now, enjoy.

A normal person, before proceeding with the test, would properly read the instructions to perform it correctly. So naturally, being the idiotic human I am, I ditched the directions. If I'd read them then I would understand that the most accurate results on a pregnancy test are achieved in the morning.

"I'm pregnant." I huffed plainly, waiting for some sort of reaction to slap me. My feelings were undecided, balanced between extremely happy and an unidentifiable emotion. I couldn't go back to sleep now, I had to say something. I picked my phone off the bedside table, took a picture of the stick because I was unable to repeat the words, and sent it to Lindsey. Three minutes of standing next to the fridge with a cup of water pressed to my lips, and she finally rang.

"YOU'RE WHAT?" I held the phone away from my ear.

"Can you for one second talk like a NORMAL HUMAN?" My screech shut her up.

"What the fuck happened?" She moved into a quieter area.

"I went shopping last night and I thought it would be fun to try." As I spoke, my breath became short. "I did one in the evening and it was negative, then in the morning positive! It says," I ran over to the box. "To achieve the most accurate results, perform in the morning."

"Of course you do it in the morning! How do you not know that?" Lindsey sighed. "Congratulations, you're with child." With child, great.

"What will Hal say?" I whispered into the receiver.

"Is he the only one you've banged?" She speaks in such a lovely way.

"Yes," I thought back to when we may have done it unprotected.

"At least it's his. When're you going to tell him?" Oh lord, the thought.

"When I get back, I guess. I can't say it on the phone."

"Just forward him the picture." Lindsey chuckled to herself.

"You're no help. What do I do, do I make an appointment with my GP?" I don't know where to begin.

"Start with that and go from there. And tell Hal." Oh lordy lord.

"I don't want to tell him." I dropped onto the bed and held myself.

"Assuming you'll keep it, he'll notice one day."

"Yes I'm keeping it!" I blurted.

"Can I tell Ryan?" She excitedly replied.

"Only Ryan. If you tell anyone else, as soon as you have that kid I'm jamming a nappy up your arse."

"I have to run off. Remember, no wine, no coffee, nothing. Your baby requires the best and you'd better fucking provide," she said.

"Talk later." What's the time? Ten sixteen, I may as well go for a walk. Tonight was dinner with the Lewis family, and then tomorrow morning leave. I need to see Brodey before I go. After a quick shower, I slipped into a comfortable cotton dress and coat, calling for a taxi as I grabbed some water. I peered down at my stomach, still reasonably flat which is surprising due to my horrendous eating habits. I wanted to reach down and place my hand over my womb, but the urge was unusual and made me feel bizarre.