Chapter Twenty-Five

Dedicated to @SweetRosebud because she found a mistake I completely overlooked. Again, thank you!

SO YOU'RE AWARE: Damo is pronounced Daymo. Enjoy!

Surely enough two days later, as I let myself into the building with hot beverages and a bag of pastries, a delicate envelope addressed to me was in my mailbox. On the back it read Gaborelle in gorgeous calligraphy, with a beautiful scent seeping through the paper.

“Hm.” I unlocked the door and walked into the apartment, setting the food on the table while opening the envelope.

“What’s that?” Brodey asked, his hair damp from the shower.

“Tickets to a ball.” I waved them at him.

“Black tie, fancy.” He nodded. It was black, white and sparkle themed, referring to the glistening component of the title. As we sat down with our food, there was a patter against the door. I had a feeling it had something to do with the tickets. I swung it open to reveal a fabulous Fera in a red wrap dress that hung quite low for her, past her knees. With a smile I leaned against the door, spotting a tall man in a black suit and thick shades staring at me.

“Word on the street is you’re writing a book.” She tipped her sunglasses.

“How’d you get into the building?”

“Some lady let me in.” Fera pushed past into the apartment, with her giant man tailing her. “If I’d known you’d be emerging into the publishing world, I wouldn’t have given you those flimsy tickets.”

“Flimsy?” They seemed quite good.

“Yes, flimsy. So give them back.” She held her long hand out. As I went for the tickets, Brodey walked around the corner, bumping into the giant man.

“Oops, sorry.” He backed away carefully.

“Who are you?” Fera swung around while slipping her shades off.

“Brodey, I’m Stacey’s half-brother.” He was genuinely terrified of the big dude.

“Fera Vugali.” It sounded as if she took an immediate liking to him. “Do you know your suit size?”

“No?” He glared at me for help.

“Damo, measure him.” She ordered.

“Yes Fera.” The man whipped a measuring tape out of his pocket, setting down a large box while instructing him to stand with his legs apart.

“Don’t scare him, please.” I held back laughter as Brodey’s face twisted with fear.

“Anyway, since your popularity is rising, I thought it would be good if you attended the ball in a Gaborelle dress.”

“How do you know I’m going?” My eyebrow arched in response.

“Oh honey, you wouldn’t miss it for anything.” Eh, I don’t know about that. “He’s coming right? I want him to wear my clothing as well.” She has such a dominant personality.

“If he wants to.”

“You’d better.” Fera shot Brodey a terrifying look. “Since you have a family and all, I booked you a table for ten, near the runway but away from the speakers.” Possibly one of the best seats.

“If I choose to wear the dress, will I have to walk?” I’ve never been a fan of the catwalk.

“Yes of course, and this one too.” Fera nipped Brodey’s ear with her fingers.