Chapter Two

I blinked, watching innocent pedestrians cross the street. Cars travelled silently down the narrow roads while the taxi cabs made all the noise. I reached over, carefully lifting my tea. I was curled up on the window seat with a knitted blanket, letting the city clear my mind.

"Argh," it was still too hot. I folded my arms, smiling as a woman and her partner tickled their child while waiting for the walk sign to click. I was mesmerised by all the people, and wondered what thoughts were brought on by a day like this. A loud knock frightened me. I slid out under my blanket and went to the door.

"Who is it?" I asked, my hand touching the knob. Strangely they didn't answer. I edged it open slowly, sighing when I saw him.

"Hey Stace," Bradley grinned.

"Why didn't you answer?" I frowned.

"I wanted to surprise you." He stepped around, shrugging out of his coat. I locked the door behind us, leaning against the wooden frame. "Why don't you just get a peep hole?"

"I don't like them, they're creepy." I shivered. "Sorry, it's an off day." I apologized for my lazy attire.

"No you're fine," Bradley assured, "relaxed suits you."

"My life is relaxed," I groaned, following him into the living room.

"I haven't been here in ages," he glared around, "new furniture?"

"Yeah, I redesigned the whole place." I nodded. "It needed a facelift."

"It works really well. It feels right for a writer." Bradley settled into the soft blue armchair. My heart leapt, slamming into my ribcage when he smiled.

"Thanks. Not to be rude, but why are you here?" I sat on the edge of a matching chair.

"I had the morning off, Marissa wasn't free so I thought I'd come over." Ugh, Marissa.

"So I'm the last resort?" I eyed.

"Of course not," he was shocked, "I just haven't visited you in so long. I thought it'd be nice." Yeah, it was nice to spoon-feed me pain.

"Do you want a drink?" I moved awkwardly away from the subject.

"Uh, water please." Bradley trailed after me into the kitchen. I opened one cupboard, reaching for one of the fancy glasses I kept for company. My fingertips barely touched one when an arm appeared beside me. He pulled two cups down, setting them to the side. I looked up with nervous eyes as Bradley stared down, his breath becoming rough. I placed my hands on the counter, beginning to move away but I gasped when he caught my hand, his fingers sinking into my skin. I froze, not knowing what move to make next. I felt the heat radiating off him. My shoulder touched his chest, and I could feel his heart beat unsteadily while his lips attacked mine. Melting at the sensation, I mustered the strength to put a hand behind his neck before he pulled away. Bradley swallowed, his breath returning to normal. I had a feeling this would be the end of the visit.

"I should go. I have to be back soon." He choked, straightening his tie.

"Yeah," I nodded. He walked briskly away, snatching his coat from the armchair. I stared emptily as he unlocked the door. Bradley paused halfway and turned to me.

"You should call Hal. He's been waiting to hear from you." He murmured, slamming the door behind him. I listened for his footsteps, they faded down the hallway. The life had been taken out of my legs. I crumpled to the floor in a heap, my chest hurting more than my body. I reached for the phone on my desk and dialled for support with shaky hands.

---

The long hand of my ancient clock ticked past the five. It was almost ten thirty, an hour since Bradley had left. I cried hysterically on the phone, and now waited for the kind soul who had listened. My ear was pressed to the door. I jumped up when a set of feet approached.