Chapter Twenty

Never, in my years of being sexually active, have I ever been in such an uncomfortable position.

“Hal, can we please stop?” I asked with an exhausted voice. “We have to get moving.”

“Just one more second.” He said, attempting to thrust hard.

“I haven’t been turned on for ten minutes.” Finally he gave away. I flopped onto the bed, my bare body about to slip onto the floor. “I don’t know what you were attempting, but please don’t do it again.”

“It usually works.” Hal thought over the position while finding pants.

“Should I wear a dress or pants?” I want to look presentable, but also feel warm.

“What about this one with the short leggings?” He picked out a crème box pleated dress with a gold belt.

“It’s sleeveless, but I can always cling to my coat.” In this situation, style over warmth is worth it. I wouldn’t usually pair it with leggings, but I do need some kind of shield for my legs. Hal was already adjusting his sleeves. I smiled at the tall man in a navy long sleeve with black pants.

“What?” He laughed at my expression.

“You look like such a gentleman.” I stepped up on my toes and puckered my lips.

“You’re such a sophisticated woman.” Hal touched his lips to mine, swinging around for his wallet and phone. “We have to get moving.” After returning from the shops, we searched mum’s house, discovering it was on the road to the airport.

“One second.” I skipped into the bathroom to adjust my hair. With a flick of my mane and a spray of perfume, I was ready. I’ll add the lipstick in the car.

“Coat.” The item was open in his hands, ready for me to wear.

“Thank you. Shall we go?” Oops, can’t forget my shoes. I picked out the flat crème pair with the gold tips I bought earlier. The hotel street lights switched on as we headed for the car, highlighting the other couples that were leaving for a night on the town.

“It should take like fifteen minutes. The house is really close to the industrial area.” Hal turned out of the hotel, speeding down the black road.

“I think we should have taken something.” I feel guilty for going empty handed. When we returned from shopping, I rang mum who insisted that our company was enough. To give her some kind of gift, I took snapshots from Lindsey’s abandoned Facebook page. It had only been deserted for a month, so pictures of her, Ryan and the kids were recent. Maybe they’d put a smile on her broken face from the afternoon. I barely paid attention to the road, or to Hal for that matter. My mind was set on the step and possibly half-siblings I had. In truth I was completely nervous, but I’m sure anyone would be.

“Are you okay Stacey?” Hal reached over at the red light.

“Yeah. You don’t think this is wrong, do you?” If Lindsey had run into mum, oh goodness. The screaming would never end.

“I can’t make a judgement. I don’t know the circumstances.” True. I barely spoke to him when we got back. He was horny and I reciprocated, so we were making love all afternoon.

“Basically I was fourteen when Lindsey got pregnant, my Mum left. She tried coming back but my Dad put his foot down. Got married when I was seventeen, and I believe I saw her twice after that.”

“Considering that, I reckon you’re doing the right thing.” He gave me an assuring grin, with a hint of worry sparkling in his eyes. The car curled down a thin road and into a cul-de-sac, populated with tall houses that cost a little bit extra. “Thirteen.”