Chapter Fourteen

“A kid?” Lindsey blinked, cautiously talking in front of the manicurists. It was a lovely Friday afternoon, and I had spent all day chopping and changing my work around to fit the selected photos from Freya’s shoot. I was pretty happy at this point. I finished my section for this month and was preparing to take it to my editor. The precious folder sat beside me in a secured black bag, leaning against the chair while my nails were cleaned.

“She’s so adorable.”

“The kid isn’t the problem Stacey, it’s that he didn’t tell you.” She waved a freshly painted hand at me. “Guys don’t understand that and it’s horrible.”

“Did you tell Ryan when you met him?” I remember when they began dating. Elisa was around six I believe, when the IT guy was introduced into their lives.

“Straight out. I walked up and said just so you know, I got a kid.” Lindsey adjusted her seat.

“And he was fine with it?”

“If he wasn’t I wouldn’t be married and share a kid with him.” A very good point.

“I like that he has a daughter. She removes the dickhead impression you get from him.” It was an ugly way to put it, but true.

“If you’re fine with it, you’re a bigger person than people estimate.” Beside me, my phone rattled on the plastic.

“Hi Hal,” I smiled while wiggling my toes. Haylen had painted them surprisingly well.

“How are you darling?” He asked over loud chatter.

“Well, I’m just with Lindsey. What’s up?”

“Have you spoken to Bradley at all?” Hal tried to shoo away someone.

“No? Should I have?” Lindsey had leaned over to listen.

“I would have thought so. Apparently the wedding has been postponed.” We glanced at each other in surprise.

“Have you heard why?”

“No, I thought you might.” That’s strange, but not surprising.

“I might call him after my meeting.” Great, I have to get moving.

“He’d talk to you more than me.” He was walking somewhere loudly. “My dad has Haylen tonight. Mind if I come over?”

“If you’d like, but you’re bringing food.” I desperately needed to go shopping.

“No problem. I’ll see you soon.” Hal made silly kissing noises into the phone.

“Bye,” I replied cutely, pressing the red phone.

“I wonder what happened there.” Lindsey blew gently on one hand.

“I don’t really want to find out, not now anyway.” I thanked the woman and stood, shaking my pretty red fingers.

“Do you have to go? Can’t we have lunch?”

“I told you we should meet earlier.”

“Whatever, go to your meeting. Leave your sister!” Lindsey called as I skipped out, speed walking downhill to the building. Thank goodness it’s close, only like twenty metres away.

“Hi Stacey!” Roscoe, one of the business writers waved as me as he left the building. I gave him a short nod and leaped up the black stairs. A large crowd seeped out the residential doors with serious faces and big briefcases. They must be the financers and various serious employees of the magazine. I ran into more writer friends while avoiding certain photographers and designers, slipping into an elevator with more suits.