Chapter Fifteen

With worried eyes I scan the restaurant bar, hoping to spot a probably smashed Bradley. I ran up to the bar and leaned over, waving at a young man pouring a pint.

“Excuse me, did a man, tall with curly brown hair leave here?”

“Not that I’ve seen. There’s a guy sitting there with curly hair.” He nodded over to a booth, where a guy in a crumpled suit sat there, beer in hand and mumbling to the air.

“Thanks,” I skipped over, poking his shoulder as he rested his head on the table. “Bradley, get up.”

“But why did she say yes when she,” he babbled.

“Bradley!” I tried not to shout too loud.

“Stacey, why are you here?” He must have forgotten he called. As Bradley lifted his head, I frowned at his filthy appearance. It looked like he hadn’t slept in at least three days, and desperately needed a shave. This is well below the standards of a lawyer.

“Because it’s one thirty in the afternoon and you’re drunk. Get up.”

“I’m not fucking drunk! I’m sad.” He rose the glass to his lips, about to finish the beer. I snatched it from his shaking hands and moved it to another table. “Stacey!”

“Let’s go. I’ll take you home.”

“I’m not going back there!” Bradley shook off my hands and moved to the end of the booth.

“Will you come if we go to my apartment?” It would be easier than getting him back to his.

“Fine.” I still couldn’t get over how clearly he spoke. I hauled him away from the booth, slowly supporting him while he gathered his balance. A guy even younger than the bartender walked up with a concern expression.

“Ma’am, do you need some help?” He brushed crumbs off his restaurant apron.

“Uh,” I glanced at Bradley, watching his legs tremble and bend weakly. “If it’s not too much trouble.”

“Of course not. It’s not the first time.” The boy chuckled, holding Bradley up on his right side.

“I’m just across the road.” We slowly walked down to the corner, trudging across the road as the little man went green. Cars beeped while they waited, zooming off behind us as soon as we cleared their path. I let the kid support him as I searched for my keys, instantly unlocking the building door to help the boy.

“I got it from here.” Bradley moaned as I took him.

“Are you sure miss?” He had definitely done this before. The way he handled Bradley across the road was phenomenal.

“I am. Here,” when I searched for my keys, I managed to slip a fifty out of my purse.

“Oh no, I couldn’t.” The boy shook his head in response.

“Please? It’s the least I could do.” I waved the note at him. After a second he sighed and stuck out his hand.

“Thank you so much.” He took my hand after accepting the money. His handshake was surprisingly strong.

“Have a great day!” I yelled after the kid. “Come on Bradley.”

“I need a shower Stacey.” He moaned while we entered the building, quickly slipping into the elevator. God I hope we don’t run into anyone.

“You can have one.” I leaned him against the cold metal, wiping my forehead with my tense arm.

“Why does she hate me Stacey?” Bradley almost fell out the doors as they opened. I helped him step towards the apartment, allowing him to sit against the wall while I unlocked it.