Chapter Seven

I felt uneasy. “Hal, what are you doing here?”

“I came to pick up my buddy.” Hal slapped Trevor’s shoulder. “He mentioned a woman named Stacey and it had to be you.” I cringed at his wink.

“How do you know Trevor?” Why did I bother coming?

“Through meetings, lunches. Trips around the country.”

“We’ve had a lot of fun.” My cousin laughed.

“Fantastic,” I gripped my stomach, sinking my fingers into my skin.

“You look nice Stacey, blue is really your colour.” Hal slurped on his coke.

“Excuse me,” I nodded to the men, slipping past them into the house. Lindsey stood at the kitchen counter, sneaking pasta into her mouth.

“Hey Stacey,” Ryan smiled, dragging his kids into the backyard.

“Ryan, nice to see you.” I gave him a brief hug. “Hello little monsters.” I grinned at my nieces.

“Hi Aunt Stacey! Play with me!” Evie screamed.

“In a minute!” I called after the tiny troll ran off.

“Problem?” Lindsey stared at my annoyed face.

“The problem is outside.” I gestured to Hal still talking to Trevor. Ryan had also joined in.

“You know, when you said gorgeous,” she bent to the side, looking around me, “you forgot to mention god-like.”

“Lindsey, you’re married.” Dad coughed.

“Oh yeah, damn.” Our father was horrified. “I’m joking!”

“I don’t need more dickheads in my life.” I hissed at Lindsey, walking around to dad. “Tell her dad.”

“He’s pretty nice Stacey.” Excuse me?

“Dad he really isn’t. He’s previously done quite nasty things to me.” I eyed my giggling sister.

“I’m sure you’ll get over it. Why don’t you give him a chance? If things don’t work out with Tim of course.”

“Things are perfect with Tim, actually I need to call him.” I whisked out my phone.

“After lunch missy.” Dad nudged me, balancing a pot filled with pasta.

“Fine,” I groaned. Lindsey and I snatched bowls and plates off the counters and walked out. The men were seated, waiting patiently across from us. Ryan, Trevor and Hal stood, their arms reaching for the dishes in our hands.

“Thanks,” I mumbled at Hal.

“Ryan can you sit here? Evie needs help.”

“Sure,” her husband walked around. Trevor moved down to sit beside dad. The only vacant seat was between my cousin and Hal.

“Crap,” I stepped around, looking briefly at Lindsey. She winked with a cheeky smile. Of course she set me up, dammit crap shit!

“Here,” Hal pulled the chair open. Oh gosh that’s so cliché.

“Thanks.” I will kill Lindsey as soon as we’re done.

“Everyone,” dad raised his sprite, “it’s great to have Trevor here. We hope you stay for a while.” He patted Trevor’s back.

“Thanks Uncle Geoff. On the way here I got a call from my boss. I’m being transferred here. I’ll be working alongside Hal.”

“That’s great Trevor.” Lindsey squealed.