Chapter Twenty-Four

Please be aware that there is a note at the end concerning the future of 'The Unlikely Couple'. For now, enjoy. 

I felt numb as I clutched my pages, staring directly at Bradley and his girl. Bradley stepped around Gavin to shake my hand, with the woman hanging off his arm. Her name was Jolie, like Angelina’s last name. She was a caterer, a partner in a small business who had begun catering for Bradley’s law firm a few months ago. She offered him a honey chicken sandwich on whole grain bread and he asked her to dinner. Her hair was a luscious honeycomb and she dressed modestly, which already makes her better than Marissa.

“Bradley.” I dropped my pages and stood.

“Hi Stacey,” rather than a handshake, Bradley gave me a gentle hug. I missed cuddling my best friend.

“Introduce me?” Jolie asked with a small smile.

“Ahem, Stacey this is my girlfriend Jolie. Honey this is my best friend.” There was a light in his eyes that hoped I was still his bestie.

“Oh wow! It’s so great to meet you!” Her voice chimed.

“A pleasure,” I felt slightly queasy. Gavin walked around with curious eyes, staring between us.

“How do you know my fabulous writer?”

“We went to university together.” I stated simply, there’s no need to elaborate.

“How delightful!” Gavin attempted to break the tension. “Bradley, Stacey is writing a book and I am over the moon. I can’t wait to publish it!” It sounded like he’d bounce through the roof with excitement.

“As soon as I see it on the shelves I’ll buy it.” Jolie said politely.

“Bring it over and I’ll sign it.” My laugh was so lame.

“You’ll need to prepare your signature. There will be many books to sign.” Gavin picked up the pages and flicked through them. I noticed the whole time, Bradley stood there with a weird, slightly ashamed expression. I remembered our last conversation, he called Hal and I an odd couple. I don’t understand why people thought we were so, unlikely, as if we weren’t compatible. If anyone was unlikely it was Bradley and Marissa, so thank fuck that’s over. Jolie is such a step up from her.

“Hopefully,” I sighed at the fact that my book may not be well received.

“Hopefully? Definitely! Get it through your head girl!” Gavin slapped my shoulder.

“Thank you for the encouragement.” My laugh came out faintly. “Now that we’ve discussed everything, I’ll let you know when I decide to go to Wagga.”

“You’re going to Wagga?” Bradley blurted instantly.

“For research.” He didn’t need to know more. I bent over to pick up my bag, slipping out the expensive bottle of wine I’d bought before I arrived. “Gavin, this is for you. Let me know if it’s any good.” The store manager said it was a delightful balance of sweet and nutty.

“Oh thank you Stacey!” The present threw him into a pool of emotion. I’ve spent a little too much time here, I need to be off.

“Sorry Gavin but I have to run.” Lindsey should be texting me about food soon.

“No don’t go!” He exclaimed with disappointment.

“Have to see Hal?” Bradley said quietly.

“Actually I was going to have dinner with my sister and brother, but I will see him at Christmas. Nice to meet you Jolie.” I touched the woman’s shoulder abruptly.