Chapter 39 - Old and New

Just so you know it,I don't have the slightest idea where am I going with this story... lol

It's been a more than a month,but I was finally able to come up with something,hope you enjoy :)

CHAPTER 39 - OLD AND NEW

Going back to school wasn't easy, actually, Emily would have rather delay, but she'd been away for too long. She was already forced to take private lessons, if she missed more days, she'd have to take summers courses as well, and that wouldn't grant her graduation either.

When her parents had signed papers to say she'd be homeschooled, they'd thought it was possible to have her do something even while being in hospital, but the plan hadn't worked, therefore now she was forced to tuck up her sleeves and study harder than ever if she wanted to graduate with her class, otherwise, summer courses were needed, and if those didn't suffice, she'd have to repeat the whole year.

It sounded worse than it was in truth, because, judging by what teachers had told her that morning, as she'd gone to them to get everything needed to recuperate, Emily wasn't that much behind as to even have to repeat the whole year, working hard, she could make it, especially because her grades had always been pretty high. More or less the same could be said about Vanessa, but here the problem was, the girl was forced to miss a week or two more, because of physiotherapy, which granted her summer courses in order not to have to repeat the whole year.

Emily would have wanted to wait for her friend, they'd be back to school together, but her parents hadn't wanted to hear it, actually, this had been one time in eons that Emily had heard her father's booming and authoritative tone directed at her and not at Jason, and when Mr. Robinson spoke like that, there was no arguing. Even though, he was only an added ogre to beware of, the real iron sergeant was Sybil. Emily knew her parents were great and all, but they didn't quite tolerate insubordination, it was already enough they'd let her get in trouble with school this much, and only because the situation was delicate.

Now there was a problem. Emily had gotten papers about what she needed to study to be even with her classmates from other teachers, but she was missing one class in particular, and ... fate – aka the principal – wanted that she'd get help from a tutor, namely a teacher that had offered to tutor students in need of help to study, and because this specific teacher had already helped Emily, it was natural that he was assigned to her again and officially this time.

That's why right now Emily was standing in front of her English class, trying to gather enough courage to knock. She hadn't been talking to James since months, even before the whole ordeal with Vanessa, neither had she heard from him, well, she hadn't responded, but she'd gotten his texts and calls, she presumed he knew about the situation with her best friend, but there remained the fact that they ought to talk. After all, the last time they were in the same room, James had been kissing her, Emily had been quite gladly responding, then Riley had interrupted them. There were many things to talk about.

Inhaling deeply, Emily knocked. No answer. She knocked again, but still no answer. He was supposed to be in there because his last class had ended five minutes ago, she'd seen students coming out but not him. Taking a deep breath, Emily gripped the knob and opened the door.

The sight left her bewildered, to say the least. James was indeed in there, he was indeed at his desk, but quite busy, and not grading papers, as he usually would be. He was pretty engulfed in a steamy make out session that had all the premises to become more in a few minutes, but more than the thing itself, to baffle Emily was the identity of the other person.

It happens sometimes that the most unexpected people get close to each other, willingly or not, and for how bewildering that is, sometimes those people develop either attraction or feelings or both. Tough situations tend to do that. Emily couldn't believe her eyes, though. More than disappointed at his change of heart, she was astonished. She'd have never guessed they could click, they were fairly different from each other, him being this romantic and sensitive soul that resembled a Austen novel, her being this pragmatic, direct lawyer with a messy past, they didn't look like the type of people that could mingle together.