Chapter 17 - Brokenhearted Hopes

CHAPTER 17 - BROKENHEARTED HOPES

Many things ran through Jason's mind in that moment, but, weirdly enough, none of them contemplated pulling away from his compromising position. Weirdly enough, he was only staring at his fiancée, pale and shocked, tears streaming down her cheeks. Reason would have wanted him to leap to his feet while hurriedly giving some sort of explanation, but he was like frozen in spot, no matter how incriminating that spot was. So much for far from sight, huh?

Vanessa was more aware of their fault instead. And the brokenhearted look on the girl's face had her insides churn in sense of guilt, so that she only hesitated a moment, then she swiftly shoved her lover boy off her and sat up, covering her nudities with his blanket, for the first time ever really ashamed, so much that she lowered her glance, not daring to meet the girl's gaze any longer.

Worse was when Gwen spoke up, tears breaking her voice: "How ... how could you? We-we're getting married! How ... h-how could you do this to me?!"

Weirdly enough, Jason was barely half sitting. Vanessa threw a pillow onto his lower regions, just to hide his nudities, wondering why wasn't he even trying to justify himself. Didn't he want to at least try to fix things between him and his fiancée? Normally guys would invent the lamest excuses to justify their cheating, but he wasn't even speaking.

He was only there, barely catching the hint about covering himself with the pillow, staring at his fiancée shouting and crying at the same time, submerging him with questions about why did he do something like that to her, they loved each other, they were to get married, wasn't he happy with her anymore? Why did he seek someone else? Gwen's eyes landed on Vanessa, but she didn't glare, there was only sorrow in her look, and the teen was only more ashamed at that.

They knew each other, of course. Obviously, they'd never been friends neither really well acquainted, but, both frequenting the Robinson's house pretty often, they knew each other. Vanessa tried to be as silent as possible as she stood up from bed, careful to bring the blanket with her, so that she could cover her naked body, and she firmly stared at the ground as she fled from the room, not daring to meet Gwen's teary eyes again.

She could still hear her shouting at her fiancé when she got downstairs. She recalled her dress was still on the floor of his room only when she got out, wearing only a blanket. Sure as hell she wouldn't go back there to get the dress and her bag with everything. She might as well just walk home like that, after all, it was past dark already, pretty much everybody was at the bonfire party, nobody would see her, right?

She thought about tiptoeing back upstairs and going to grab something from Emily's closet, but she could still hear the sorrowful shouted words Gwen was sputtering and no, Vanessa felt too awful to risk being close to that again. All that time, she'd always thought the girl didn't deserve Jason, but the pure pain in her eyes was like a punch to Vanessa's stomach, a punch that forced her to come to terms with reality and acknowledge that what they'd been doing was really the epitome of vile.

Vanessa inhaled deeply, leaning against the front door, for some reason not able to move. She did move when she heard the male voice responding, though. She did move when she heard him finally respond, with a regretful and guilty: "It was nothing, really. I shouldn't have and I'm sorry. Please, honey, forgive me."

Tears streamed Vanessa's cheeks, to nothing served to swallow the lump in her throat. It was nothing. Really nothing. Of course, she knew that, but hearing it come out of his mouth had a whole different feeling. She was nothing to him. He'd been kind enough not to laugh of her feelings, but she was absolutely nothing to him.

Vanessa cried all her tears as she ran off, barefooted and practically naked, weren't it for the small blanket wrapped around her body, but most of all, brokenhearted, because she'd moved too late, and the last words she'd been able to hear coming out of Jason's mouth had ripped her heart into pieces, as much as she knew he would, just hoped it wouldn't happen that soon and it wouldn't hurt that badly. How wrong she was.