Chapter 42 - Finally Woman

"But all I could see was her. No skill of mine, no artist anywhere, could've immortalized how gorgeous she was. It was impossible to believe she'd ever had any doubts about her body. The firelight shone on her skin, golden and perfect, making her look like some radiant goddess of legend. I wanted to kneel before her and offer eternal obedience."

- The Fiery Heart,Richelle Mead

CHAPTER 42 - FINALLY WOMAN

"Are you utterly sure? Completely, indubitably, absolutely certain you want this?" Riley asked, failing to choke his own desire despite the words. Emily gave him one more flustered smile, playing with the hair behind his neck, and nodded, unable to voice it.

Standing in the middle of his room, glued to each other, their embrace working to hold the towel that hid her nudities, there wasn't much to think over, was there? Her mind was set, the decision had been made, there was no going back.

"Emily, this is no child play. This will change you ... us. It's a dead end, once you're in, you can't go back. You must be utterly sure you want it." Riley stared into her eyes, his hands on her cheeks, restless and eager, but still conscious. It was a huge step, it couldn't be taken lightly, especially not given their past.

Yet Emily nodded once again, gripping his t-shirt, her smile faltering the slightest as she responded, voice unsteady: "I want it. Do you?" Her old self would have doubted, but old Emily was tucked away deep down the deepest meanders of her soul, and she would not reemerge, not so soon anyway. Right now, and for a long, very long while, it was time for a new self to lead, and new Emily wanted to seal their renewed relationship in a very specific way.

Riley bit his lip in order to keep himself from looking down and peek. He wanted it, of course he wanted it. Years ago it would have been unthinkable, but in these months it had become a constant thought, hammering in his mind, and pushing it back was nearly impossible. Years ago he would have recoiled at the idea, right now he craved it, and the more he waited, the more impatient he felt.

Emily pulled him closer, the towel she was wearing inching down enough to show the curves of her cleavage, which forced him to strain his neck a little, in order to resist.

"I want this, Riley. And I want it with you. Tonight." He took a deep breath, then exhaled, and finally nodded. Her heart skipped a few beats, realizing it was about to happen, truly about to happen, but she was happy nevertheless. Slowly, Riley moved, enough to give her and himself time, though that didn't stop the towel from falling in slow mo, enough to have them both hold their breaths for what felt like hours.

Emily sort of cursed herself for having been so bold, but also thanked her prudery for having suggested her to keep the underwear, to the very least. She'd taken a very quick shower, enough only to freshen up and give herself one last check: before leaving for Boston, she'd waxed, smoothened her skin with creams, she'd had her hair cut - something he hadn't noticed yet, be it the heat of the moment - enough to barely reach her shoulders and have a small fringe covering her temples on both sides, she'd even rehearsed at home, with Vanessa, the moment somebody other than the mirror saw her naked, in a word, she'd gotten ready as best as she could, with the subtle help from her best friend, without her brother noticing anything out of the ordinary, aside from Emily dressing a bit less baggily. Going to the beautician for the first time in her life had been awkward and painful, but Emily had taken it as a day off with her best friend, who'd gotten out of the hospital just in time.

Riley swallowed thrice, blinking, not believing his eyes, and it took him a fair amount of self control to be sensitive enough not to make any comment, but inside he was boiling. Emily was beautiful, simply beautiful, the dress for the party months ago had flaunted her curves, but damn, seeing them live, right in front of him, in their full glory, that was a completely different animal. He could hardly breathe.