Chapter One

I sat in History, tapping my pencil on the metal binding of my notebook. It was the last day of school, and there were only five minutes left of class. I looked around the room and saw that everyone was shifting in their seats, anxious to be let out.

The bell finally rang. I grabbed my stuff and walked out into the hallway, hoping to catch a friend on the way to my locker. Who was I kidding. The only friends I had were online. I started walking and kept my head down. If I didn't notice them, they wouldn't notice me.

This is how I spent most of my days. Ignoring everyone around me, hoping to be unseen. It was easier than having all the attention, which was not something I craved on a daily basis.I rushed to my locker and entered the combo. After quickly shoving everything in my bag I made my way to the main doors of the school. I didn't drive, or take the bus home, I walked. And I have been for years. So it was no surprise when it started raining. I've walked through it plenty of times before. I pulled my hood up and started walking down the path I'd known since fifth grade.

I knew that as soon as I got home I would have to change. Not only out of my wet clothes, but out of my human form. I had gotten used to living life as a werewolf. Ever since the day I got turned. I was only six years old when it happened. I was at home playing with the family dog in the living room when he bit me. It wasn't just a normal dog bite either. It went deeper into my skin than anything ever had. As soon as it happened I felt something change inside me. I knew something was wrong. I never told my parents about it, thinking that's what happened to everybody after a vicious dog bite. You can probably guess what happened to old Pickles after that incident. To this day, they still don't know I'm a werewolf.

I realized what I was the day I turned fifteen. No symptoms had ever occurred before that, none in the nine years since I first got bit. It was the middle of the night. I woke up with a sick feeling in my stomach. My bones hurt and my back itched. I got up and looked in the mirror. My eyes were yellow. The itch on my back got worse, and as I stuck my hand down the back of my shirt, my fingers grabbed a handful of hair. I freaked out and googled the cause of this. Every result was the same. I was a werewolf.

It started out as once every few months, then every month. It eventually progressed to every week, and now every day. Something was definitely happening, I just didn't know what.

It was normal for me to need change after a long day at school. Except today felt a bit different. I couldn't exactly put my finger on it, but I knew something was off.

The hair stood up on my neck.

Oh no. I thought. My fingers started to shake. Why now?! I panicked and ducked behind a nearby building. I threw my backpack down and sat on top of it to keep my jeans dry.

"This cannot be happening right now." I said out loud. I started sweating, one of the usual symptoms of a change. I pulled my hair into a ponytail and picked up my bag again. I peeked my head around the corner and looked down the street. I still had another ten minutes of walking. I would never make it home in time. I moved farther back behind the building and sat behind a large dumpster.

After I was sure nobody could see me, I closed my eyes and wished for the change to go away. If I could only hold it off for another fifteen minutes everything would be fine.

I could usually feel a change coming on about ten to twenty minutes before it happened. Never had it come without warning. Not until today anyways. And why now? I have been noticing that my senses have become stronger lately. I've been running faster, lifting more weight than I otherwise would have been able to lift. It's not like I work out, unless you count Netflix as a sport. I mean there are Netflix marathons.