Chapter Two

Patrick sat in my living room, along with both my parents. They seemed to be having a nice talk, since all three of them were smiling. At the sound of my voice, they stopped and looked at me. Patrick immediately jumped out of his seat.

"Bree! I'm glad to see you're okay." He was genuinely happy for me.

"Yeah, just a little stomach bug I think." My eyes drifted to the kitchen table. Four plates were set out. "What's this?" I gestured towards the extra plate.

I walked down and met my mom at the end of the stairs. She pressed the back of her hand to my forehead, checking to see if I had a fever. I brushed her hand away.

"Well, when Patrick came to check on you, we found out he's our new neighbor! We invited his family to dinner but his parents couldn't make it."

I looked over at Patrick as he gave a weak smile. He looked like he was holding something in. I nodded.

"Ok, cool. What's for dinner?"

"Steak. Your favorite!" My mom wandered into the kitchen as my dad placed his hand on my shoulder.

"Bree, why don't you go show Patrick your room?" He jogged up the stairs and into his office. Before shutting the door, he poked his head out. "Tell me when dinners done." He winked and the door clicked shut.

"Well...I guess we could go to my room." We walked up the stairs and into my bedroom, which was located at the end of the hallway. After letting us both in, I shut the door behind him.

I always kept my room fairly clean, but I wasn't expecting company so my bed wasn't made and my desk was covered in random artifacts from around my room.

I pulled out my bungee chair and offered him a seat. He sat there while I sat on my bed.

"So...this is my room? I guess? Ugh, I don't know what to say sorry." I face palmed and looked down. "I guess I'm not used to having people over." I let out a weak laugh.

Patrick chuckled. His laughter made me forget about my awkwardness a minute before.

"Its nice, very...cozy." He smiled at me.

"You mean messy." We both laughed.

"How come your parents couldn't make it to dinner?" I blurted the words out. His laughing stopped. He looked at me, then at the ground. "I'm sorry...you don't have to tell me if you don't want to." I waved my hand in the hair like I was clearing up what I just said.

"No its okay. They're just...at work. Yeah, work." His eyes never met mine. It was obvious that he was lying but I didn't push.

"Oh." My mind raced around trying to find something interesting to talk about. Just then my phone rang. "The Judge" by Twenty One Pilots blared through my speaker. I quickly clicked mute. "Sorry that was just my friend Alice. She lives in Canada." Why was I telling him this? Its not like he cared or needed to know about all my friends.

He pointed to his shirt. "Please, its not like its bad." He laughed. Once again I saw the Twenty One Pilots logo.

"Oh yeah! I forgot you were a fan!" We started talking about our favorite songs and whatnot. We were discussing our other favorite bands when my mom called us down for dinner.

We talked as we ate the steak mt mom had prepared for us. When we were finished, Patrick offered to help clean up plates. I raised my eyebrow. My mom waved her hand.

"Oh no, you two go have fun. We'll clean up here." Patrick nodded and we walked back upstairs. After I was able to warn up to him earlier, it was easier to start a conversation.

Back in my room, I even offered him a seat next to me on the bed. We both sat cross legged across from each other. The dim glow from lamp cast a shadow on his face, making him look ten times cuter, if that was even possible. I stared into his eyes and thought of something to say.

The butterflies were back. My head was swimming. I wanted him so bad. What was wrong with me? We had only just met! Yet I couldn't look away. He was staring right back at me, giving me a small sense of hope that maybe he liked me too.

I took a deep breath and decided to be brave.

"Patrick, I know we only just met but...I think I li-" my words were cut off. Patrick's lips were on mine. Sparks exploded through my body. My head felt fuzzy and I couldn't think clearly. I didn't know how to react at first.

I eventually leaned into him and put my hands on the back of his neck, pulling him closer to me. I had never been kissed, but if this is what it felt like every time, then count me in.

We finally pulled apart to breathe. I was shocked and excited. I guess he did have feelings for me.

"Wow." I whispered under my breath. I tucked a stray piece of hair behind my ear.

I saw Patrick's face turn red. He cleared his throat. "I'll see you tomorrow then?"

"Yeah, for sure." He smiled at me. I smiled back and got up to open my door for him. He gave a small wave as he walked down the stairs. I waited until I heard my parents say goodbye until closing my door again.

I ran across my room and flopped onto the bed, shoving my face into my pillow. It was hard to stop smiling after what had just happened.

I changed into my pajamas and slipped under the covers again. As I closed my eyes, I thought about what would happen tomorrow.

My eyes shot open with a sudden realization. How was I going to tell Patrick what I really am? Would it ever be possible to explain this monster inside me? My stomach felt sick with the thought that I now have to keep this horrible secret from yet another person. Maybe the person I loved the most.