Chapter Seventeen

We spent the rest of the day just hanging around Patrick's house. I never changed out of the clothes he borrowed me. To be honest, they were super comfortable, and the fact that they still smelled like him made it even better. I knew my parents would eventually want me home at some point, since I totally ditched them yesterday. Which also happened to be my birthday. 

It was almost five o'clock, and I hadn't eaten anything since the pizza last night. I figured I should be back home in time for dinner, but there was something I had to ask before I left.

"Patrick," I said cautiously. "what did it look like? When I changed, I mean." I was extremely curious, and since I blacked out half way through I'll never know what really happened. He stiffened beside me. We were laying on his bed, his arm wrapped around my shoulders. He swallowed.

"Well, it was uh..." He paused. I sighed and attempted to fill in the blank for him.

"Terrifying? Gross? Extremely unnatural?" Neither of us moved. He swallowed and then hung his head. Probably embarrassed that what I said was true.

"Yeah, kind of. But it's okay, it's not your fault."

"I'm sorry you had to see that honestly. I'm sure it wasn't my cutest moment." I reached up and held his hand as it hung off my shoulder. He laughed.

"Maybe not, but it doesn't matter. Soon it'll happen to me too." I thought about what it would feel like to run wild as a wolf with Patrick. Not a care in the world, surrounded by nature. Peace, freedom...it all sounded great. If only it was full-time. Instead we had to go through painful changes and close encounters and secrets. None of which were ideal for kids our age. I felt bad that now Patrick had to go through this with me. But it also felt good to know I wouldn't be completely alone. Thinking about how I even managed to see a good side in this whole mess made me feel slightly guilty, and I pushed the entire thought out of my mind.

We laid there for a few more minutes before I finally told him it was time for me to go. He reluctantly pulled his arm back in, making me feel colder. I almost forgot I was still wearing Patrick's clothes, and probably would have walked home in them if he hadn't reminded me. 

"Oh right." I told him that my bag was out in his car, and that I wasn't going to go outside wearing this. He politely agreed to grab it for me. I sat on his bad and waited for him to come back, texting my mom telling her I'd be home soon for dinner. He came back and handed me my bag. As I got up to change in the bathroom, he asked me where I was going.

"To change in the bathroom. Why?" I asked. 

"You know you can just change in here. I think we're past the point of awkwardness." He said casually.

My face heated. "Well..." I considered it before reaching for the handle again.

"Bree, I literally dressed you this morning."

Yikes. I guess he had a point. I made him promise to close his eyes. Once he had his hand positioned where he couldn't see around it, I walked over to him, testing his reaction when I moved my hand in front of his eyes fast. He passed my test.

"If you peek, I will slap you silly. I don't care if you've already seen it all." He cracked up, then told me to quickly change. I ran to the corner and pulled off the boxers in one swift motion, allowing the extra long shirt to provide coverage. Once I had my shorts on, I turned around and pulled off the shirt, pausing when I remembered I left my bag on the corner of the bed. I tried to reach while facing the opposite direction, but it was too far away. 

I backed up and snatched it off the bed.

"Um, why are you getting closer?" He asked.

"I just need my b- Patrick! I told you not to peek!" I threw on my shirt just in time for him to take his hand away. He shrugged and laughed.

I grabbed my bag and swung it over my shoulder, tying my hair up into a quick pony tail.

"I guess it's time for you to go." There was a tinge of sadness to his voice.

I placed my hands on his shoulders as he placed his on my waist. I leaned up and kissed him.

"Don't worry, I'll see you soon."He smiled and let me go, walking me to the front door, before waving me off. 

When I arrived back at home, my mom already had a lasagna baking in the oven. She smiled when I walked in and then started shooting questions at me like cannon balls.

"How was it? Did you have fun? What did you do? Where did you eat?"

"Woah, woah, woah. One at a time please." I giggled, making sure to answer all of her questions in a way that my mom would approve of.

"Sounds like you had a good time." She said happily. I nodded in response, then went to put my bag away in my room. I waited on my bed watching Netflix until it was time for dinner. 

As I walked down the stairs, I saw that my dad was home. He had been working overtime this past week, and after all this time I had been spending with Patrick, this was our first sit-down family meal together in a while. His face lit up when he saw me, asking about how my night with Patrick went. Once again I only told him the stuff that he would approve of. He seemed pleased with my reply.

We sat down and began eating. The lasagna was great, and my family had a good time talking and laughing together. I finally felt at ease, without all the added tension of having Patrick over to impress my parents.

Dinner was soon over, and I retreated back up to my room. A few hours passed with me watching a few more episodes on Netflix, before I finally decided to hit the hay. I changed into pajamas and brushed my teeth before shutting off the light and climbing into bed. I was just about to drift off when I heard a soft knock on my door. At first I thought it was a dream just about to start, but then it happened again.

I felt some adrenaline build up inside me. Who was knocking at my door in the middle of the night? I quietly slipped out of bed and put my ear against the door. Another knock. I slowly opened the door and stepped behind it, so whoever was entering wouldn't be able to see me at first. I have been watching way too many murder investigation shows lately. My mind was basically wrapped with yellow caution tape at this point.

To my surprise, the person behind the door wasn't a murderer, or even my parents. It was Patrick. He stepped in and whispered my name. I could tell he had an extremely worried look on his face, just by the dim glow of the moon outside. I put my hand over his mouth and pulled him in quickly before quietly shutting the door. He gasped but then realized it was me. I directed him over to my bed and we sat down at the edge. 

"Patrick? What are you doing here?" I was confused. How did he even get into my house in the first place? Then I remembered telling him about the key under the mat in case there was ever an emergency. 

"Bree, something's wrong. I think I'm starting to...change." Woah, this early on that was basically impossible. I guess he is much closer to his eighteenth birthday than I was when I first got bit though.

"Well, what are your symptoms?" He listed all the same problems I had before every change. I nodded my head and grabbed his hand. 

He was clammy, and his forehead was sweating. I whispered for him to calm down. He scooted closer to me and leaned his shoulder into mine. 

"Do you wanna lay down for a little bit? Until you can compose yourself?" He nodded and we slid under the covers together. I laid with my ear on his chest, and my hand on his stomach. This way I could listen to his heartbeat and know when he was finally loosening up. We stayed silent for a while, and it seemed to be working. I think he eventually forgot about the oncoming change, because soon he was fast asleep. It was unheard of (in my case at least) but he somehow managed to stop the change before it even started. I knew he was strong enough to hold off the first one, for now. But the second one? That could possibly be a whole different story.

My eyes grew too tired to stay open. I told myself they were just resting as I closed them for a few minutes. I didn't want to fall asleep, so I would be able to wake Patrick up and send him home before my parents came in. But it was just so soft and comfortable lying near Patrick. He always made me feel so safe and secure. Once again I thought about what it would be like to sleep next to him every night. With this thought in mind, I eventually drifted into dreamland, knowing that my parents were in for a surprise when they stepped through that doorway.