Chapter Eight

I woke up the next morning, cradled in Patrick's arms. Since his bedroom didn't have a window, I was unsure of what time it was. I searched his room for an alarm clock with no luck. I reached out my hand and felt around on the nightstand for my phone. I picked it up and checked the time. 10:30. 

"Wow." I whispered out loud. I slept in a lot later than I usually did. I slowly slid out of his arms, being careful not to wake him up. I slipped off the covers and stepped out of bed. As soon as I stood up, cold air hit me like an arctic blast. 

Maybe Patrick turned the air conditioning on. I thought. I wrapped my arms around my self, only to touch bare skin. I panicked and touched my legs. Also bare. I internally screamed and reached for my bag on the floor. I had packed extra clothes, anticipating a sleep over. But I was NOT expecting something like this to happen. I found the strap and slung it over my shoulder. I walked into the corner and began dressing.

The blankets rustled and I froze in place.

"Bree?" My knees went weak at the sound of his voice. Raspy and deep, I remembered what it felt like the first time I woke up next to him. I heard him sit up fast. 

"It's okay, I'm over here." 

He sighed. "In the corner? Doing what?" 

I swallowed. "Getting dressed?" My voice came out in a squeak.

"What?" The blankets rustled again. "OH." 

"Yeah." I said and continued pulling on my shirt. 

"What time is it?" He yawned. I replied with the time I saw on my phone earlier, adding a few minutes. "Holy smokes! You should probably get back before your parents freak out."

He was right. It was Saturday, and my parents didn't have to work. I'm sure they knocked on my door telling me to come down to breakfast. 

"Right." I walked back over to the bed and threw my phone in my bag. "Maybe you and I could get some breakfast together? I'm sure they already ate."

He considered it for a moment. "Sure! That sounds great, just uh, let me get dressed first."

My face got hot. I walked into the nearby bathroom and fixed my hair. Once I made myself look slightly more presentable, I walked back into the hallway. The light was on, and the door was open, so I walked right in. 

Patrick stood with his back facing me, shirtless. I slowly backed out and stood with my back to the wall. I poked my head in again and looked at him. The muscles in his shoulders tensed as he lifted his shirt over his head and down his torso. I fanned myself quickly and walked back in. 

"Where do you wanna eat?" 

He turned around and smiled. "I don't know, what do they have here?"

I listed off some restaurants that served breakfast. We decided on Perkin's and headed upstairs. Slipping on our shoes, we strolled to the car and drove off in the direction of the restaurant. 

We didn't say much the whole ride, both us probably thinking about what happened last night. I stared out the window and tried to think about something else. We pulled into the parking lot and entered the restaurant, waiting to be seated. It was pretty crowded today, so we ended up getting a booth in the back. Which was fine by me, it was more private anyways.

As we sat down and opened our menus. I thought about how this would be our first "real" date. Even after all we've been through, I couldn't help but think that we never really had a proper conversation. 

The waitress came and we ordered our food. With the menus gone, we were almost forced to make conversation. It was harder to talk in a public place, surrounded by people. 

Patrick cleared his throat and looked around. "So, uh, nice place huh?" 

I nodded. "Yeah, I guess." He laughed, which in turn made me laugh too. "Why is this so awkward?" I covered my face with my hands and shrugged. 

"It's just too quiet. Maybe I should start singing." He smirked and I reached across the table to playfully smacked his arm. 

"I wasn't kidding when I said you were good."  He smiled and grabbed my hand, rubbing his thumb softly over my knuckles. The waitress came soon after and set our food out in front of us. 

We dug in, glad for a distraction from talking. I hoped it wouldn't be like this every time. Eventually we would get used to being together in public, but for now we just enjoyed the food.

We made small talk every once in a while, but nothing major. Half an hour later, we split the bill and retreated back to the car. Once inside, Patrick said something that genuinely surprised me.

"I looked at the website you sent me." 

I didn't know what to say. "And...?"

"I found out some stuff."

"Like what?" I looked over at him, but he kept his eyes on the road. 

"Stuff you probably already know."

"You'd be surprised." I didn't exactly read through the whole website once I got to the alpha mate part. There were probably still a lot of things I needed to find out.

"Have you completed a change yet?" I shook my head no. "Well that'll happen when you turn eighteen." 

"Th-that's only a couple weeks." I rested my elbow on the window sill and placed my forehead in my hand. 

"I know. But after that, you can control whenever you do change." 

"That's good, I guess." I didn't want to have to change anymore. I wanted to be with Patrick. I knew it would be hard to have a normal life together if I was anything but normal. "Is there a way to stop it all together?" 

He glanced at me. "No, I didn't see anything about that." I sighed and looked out the window. "You don't need to change who you are for me, Bree. I'll love you no matter what you look like."

"Patrick, what if I hurt you?" I would feel horrible if I ended up hurting him the first time I completed my change. 

"I-I don't know. I trust you." I shook my head. It wasn't good enough. He may trust me, but I sure didn't trust myself. We arrived back at my house shortly after. He offered to come with me, but I said it probably wasn't a good idea. I knew my parents would grill me about where I was. And I would have to think of something quick, which would be harder with Patrick standing right next to me.

He said he understood as I got out of the car and waved to him from the front steps. He smiled back and pulled into his own driveway. I walked inside, bracing myself for what my parents would say. As I expected, the first thing they asked was where I was.

"I went to get breakfast with Patrick, since you guys ate without me." 

"You were sleeping. Or were you?" My mom folded her arms around her chest. I was worried she was starting to catch on.

"Yeah, I was just really tired." I glanced at the ground, not meeting her eyes.

"Your door was locked. You never sleep with the door locked."

"Well maybe I'm starting now." I brushed past her and up the stairs, feeling bad under my fake confidence. I never lied to my parents, but with Patrick around it was making it really hard not to.

Once in my room, I flopped onto my bed and closed my eyes. My life was a currently a mess at the moment. I wondered when my parents would start saying Patrick was a bad influence. I'm sure it would come at some point. They just weren't used to me bringing friends home, let alone a boyfriend. 

Was he even my boyfriend? We had never actually confirmed it. I'm sure after all this that we certainly are, so I let it go. I sighed. My birthday was in a few weeks. I would finally be eighteen, and complete my change. Who knows what would happen after that. I thought about what it would be like as a wolf. My stomach twisted into knots as images of wolves killing things filled my mind. I couldn't do that, I just couldn't. I had to find a way to stop this, before it was too late.