Chapter Fifteen

The next seven days went by in a blur. I hung out with Patrick most of the time. When I wasn't with him though, I was in my room mentally preparing myself for the day I turned eighteen. The stress was making it hard for me to focus on anything else to be honest. I thought that knowing Patrick would be there would make it easier. But instead it made me more nervous. This would be the first time I would complete a change, and who knows what happened after the parts I've already seen. 

The day had finally arrived. And on the verge of a mental breakdown, I called Patrick. 

"I need you. Now." He didn't ask questions or hesitate before telling me he was on his way. 

A few minutes later my door was open and he was walking through. He stretched out his arms and enveloped me in a big hug. I immediately started to cry. Holding onto his shoulders, I shoved my face into his chest. I noticed he wasn't wearing the cologne he mentioned earlier. I probably turned him off of that real quick.

"I'm scared, Patrick." I choked out a sob. My hands were practically shaking from all this pent up anxiety. "I don't know if I can do it." He rubbed my back softly, attempting to calm me down. It only helped a little bit.

"Shhh. I know. Just let it happen. Everything will be okay." He rested his chin on the top of my head. I wanted to believe him so badly, but I just couldn't. What if it wasn't going to be okay? What if something happened? What if...what if this was the last time I would ever see Patrick?

I cried harder. I can't think of that right now. The only thing that needed to occupy my mind was the change. I felt no oncoming symptoms. There was no sign, no telling when it could happen. I needed to stay away from my parents. Which would be hard, since they both took the day off to celebrate with me. Maybe if I told them Patrick and I were going out to dinner, but really just stayed at his house? It was believable, but I knew I would feel guilty later for ditching them on my birthday.

Once I had finally calmed down, I told Patrick my plan. He seemed to think it was a good idea.

"Wouldn't you rather change in the comfort of your own home?" He asked. I thought back to the first time I ever went to his house. I had an emergency change in his bathroom, and he caught me. I blocked out the rest in my mind, remembering the depressed state I was in afterwards.

"I don't care where it happens, as long as I'm with you."

He smiled and stuck his hand in his back pocket. A birthday present, most likely. I hoped it wasn't too expensive, I knew how he had to live.

"Happy birthday, Bree." He handed me a small velvet box. My heart skipped a beat as the excitement built. 

"Patrick, I told you you didn't have to get me anything! Your love is enough." But he insisted I accepted it. I opened the box and gasped. Inside, on a raised velvet stand, was a silver charm bracelet. I gingerly pulled it out, letting it sparkle in the light coming through the window. I looked at the charms one by one.

The first charm I came upon was a pawprint. I smiled. Great, how was I going to explain this one to my parents? It's not like we had a dog. That just made it more special. It was secret only Patrick and I shared.

The second one was a heart, symbolizing our love. I thought about all the amazing times together, and how strong our relationship was after only a small amount of time.

The third charm was a small music note. It was the cutest little thing I've ever seen. I remembered when I first met him, and commented on his Twenty One Pilots shirt. I then remembered how amazing of a singer he was. Maybe there was something deeper hidden behind this one?

The fourth and final charm dangled at the end of the row. It was a tiny key. I was confused for a second, not knowing what the message behind this one was. Patrick reached into his other pocket and pulled out yet another box. Handing it to me, he told me everything would make sense soon. I opened the box, and found a heart shaped locket, attatched to a silver string. It matched the bracelet perfectly. I noticed a little lock on the front. I made the connection and realized that it could only be open by using the key charm.

I gently stuck the charm inside and twisted. There were words on the inside halves of the heart.

"Alpha dog, and omegalomaniac." I read aloud, almost in a whisper. I wanted to laugh, wanted to cry, and scream for joy all at the same time. I jumped on him, wrapping him up in the biggest hug I had ever given. I pulled back and kissed him.

"Thank you, thank you so much." I cried. He was smiling so big, so proud of his wonderful gift. I would be proud of this too. It was beautiful, with a deep and heartfelt message behind it. It was something only us two would ever understand, which it made ten times more special. I slipped the bracelet on my wrist and turned around so Patrick could put the necklace on for me. I pulled my hair over my shoulder and felt as his warm hands brushed my neck, making me shiver. I saw the locket cross my vision and felt it rest on my throat. He closed the clasp and flipped my hair back over. I walked over to the full body mirror and examined myself.

I smiled as the locket shimmered on my neck. It really was one of the most beautiful things I'd ever seen. I was excited to show off my new jewelry, so we ran downstairs to show my parents. 

I held out my wrist to my mom first. I hoped she wouldn't ask about the paw print, because my brain was too wild from all the excitement. I didn't have a valid answer. Or one she'd understand at least. She placed her hand on her chest and gasped.

"It's beautiful! Patrick, did you do this?" She looked up at him expectantly. I saw his chest puff up a bit out of the corner of my eye. 

"Yep! I wanted to give her an amazing gift for her special day." And that's exactly what it was, an amazing gift.

"And how about this?!" She fingered the locket around my neck. She glanced down at the bracelet again, noticing the key charm and the lock on the heart. She raised her eyebrow at me and grinned.

"It's a secret." I said happily. She nodded her head, knowing how exciting the mystery of young love was. 

My dad came over next, not examining the jewelry as much as my mom had, but still praising Patrick for his excellent purchase of such beautiful things. He then clapped him on the back, saying he would "love to have a talk with him later". Patrick looked at me nervously, but I just waved him off. If I knew my dad, he was just doing this to scare Patrick. Making sure he could "handle the heat". 

I then announced my plan of going out to eat with Patrick, instead of staying for a home cooked meal. My mom looked a little discouraged, but then allowed us to go. 

"Have fun. And think of us while you're celebrating!" It was an odd thing to say, but oh well, my whole life was odd. We walked back upstairs to get ready for "dinner" or really just staying at Patrick's house for the night. I packed a bag full of extra clothes and the necesities. It was soon time to leave, so I said goodbye to my parents and headed outside to Patrick's car. I was surprised and relieved that nothing werewolf-related had happened yet. I even wondered if it would happen at all. But the website said, eighteenth birthday. And today was definitely that, so I knew to expect it sometime before the night was over. Which wasn't very far away.