Chapter Twelve

The hours passed quickly, until it was time to go to dinner. I have to admit I was a bit nervous. I had a guess about what my mom thought of Patrick. I knew deep down she was happy, but right now she was just confused. I was sure she would warm up to him eventually. At least I hoped so.

Immediately after stepping in the house, the smell of food filled my nose. I could tell my senses were getting stronger, because I could smell every bit of spice and seasoning. As we got entered the kitchen, I saw the Crock Pot sitting on the counter, full of a juicy roast. My mouth practically watered as I thought about all the potaoes and carrots cooking inside. My mom was at the table setting plates when we walked into the dining room. She must've not heard us come in because when she turned around and saw us standing there she jumped a bit.

"Oh! Take a seat, dinner's almost done!" I took my seat next to Patrick and waited for my mom to bring out the food. I could tell he was a bit nervous, because his leg was jiggling under the table. I felt a little bad and placed my hand on his knee to calm him down. He smiled and let it fall still.

My mom had grabbed our plates before she went back into the kitchen, and now she set them back down in front of us with meat and vegetables piled high. She soon came back with her own plate and instructed us to dig in. The first couple mintues were filled with awkward silence. 

"I guess everyone is enjoying their food then huh?" she let out a slight laugh.

"Yes, it's delicious! Thank you so much for inviting me, Mrs. Sanders." Patrick politely wiped his face with his napkin. I still could not get over the fact that he was such a gentleman. Most boys his age were total slobs. Trust me, I go to public school. Thinking about school reminded me that Patrick and I were in the same grade. He would be the one to make my Senior year unforgettable. I thought about how I would get to show him around and how close our lockers would be, due to our last names being so similar. Then I thought about all the other kids in my school. Patrick was an amazing guy, I'm sure girls would be falling at his feet when they first saw him. I suddenly grew insanely jealous, until I remembered that it was just the werewolf side of me talking. I guess they really do love their alpha mates.

I snapped back to reality as my mom replied to Patrick. "Please, call me Diane." She smiled kindly at him, and I knew it wasn't fake. So she genuinely liked him after all. I forgot about school for now and focused on eating and making small talk with Patrick and my mom. 

"So how did you two meet?" I choked on my food. Patrick leaned over and patted me on the back. It was such an innocent question, but it really was not the right time to tell her. Patrick opened his mouth to begin talking so I kicked him under the table, making him stop instantly.

"School." I blurted. It was a lie, but it was believable. Patrick raised an eyebrow at me. I gave him a look that said I'll tell you later. I wondered what he'd say when he found out my parents don't know.

My mom just nodded her head and asked simple questions about our relationship. Soon, dinner was over and we had brought all the dishes to the sink. My mom whispered in my ear when we passed her as she was doing dishes.

"Have fun." I turned my head. She winked and I blushed, walking faster to catch up with Patrick. We went upstairs to my room and sat on the bed. As soon as I shut the door, he started talking.

"Why can't we tell her how we met?" I thought about my answer before responding.

"I was about to change. Into a wolf. Behind a dumpster. It's not exactly romantic."

"So what, she'd understand right?" Here it comes. The moment when I'd have to explain that he was the only person who knew my secret.

"Actually," I rubbed my wrists and looked at the ground. "she doesn't know what I am. Neither does my dad." He looked surprised.

"You mean you've been keeping this huge secret from your parents, for years?"

I nodded. He let out a low whistle.

"I know, I just didn't know what to say! Or when to say it, for that matter."

He put his hand on my back and rubbed it softly. "I get it. But you'll have to tell them at some point. Or they'll find out the way I did, which isn't always the best route."

He had a point. I sighed and leaned back, squishing my head into my pillow. Patrick fell back with me and put his arm around my shoulder. I adjusted my body so my neck and head were on his chest, resting under his chin. 

"No matter how they react, you know I'll always be here for you." He kissed the top of my head.

"I know. And I love you for it." 

"I love you too." 

There was a knock on my door. I didn't bother moving from my spot on Patrick's chest. My mom came in and stopped in the doorway. She took one look at us and turned bright red. She started to mutter an apology and started to close the door again. I stopped her and told her it was fine. She exhaled and came back in, avoiding eye contact.

"I was just wondering if Patrick would be spending the night. We have some extra blankets and pillows to make a bed on the floor." I held in a laugh. We all knew he wouldn't be spending the night on my floor. 

I looked up at him. "Sure, sounds great." He said happily.

"Alright. I'll bring those up now then." As soon as she left the room, I let all my laugher out. 

"You're not sleeping on the floor."

He chuckled. "I know, but let her think we're still innocent."

"Patrick!" I swatted his arm lightly. My mom came back in with a wad of blankets and pillows, throwing them on the floor next to my bed. 

"I'll just say goodnight right now and leave you kids alone." I said goodnight and she finally left the room. I got up and closed the door, leaving it unlocked. I knew she would probably try to check it, and I didn't want to worry her anymore than I probably already had.