Thorin x (Dwarf) Reader

Thorin's P.O.V

I ran my hand through my hair as I walked along the corridors of Erebor. Stress was all I felt. My grandfather, King Thror, was sick. A disease of the mind, he was addicted to his gold. I let out a deep breath as I carried on walking, nearing my destination.

Once I got to the door, I sighed in contempt at the thought of seeing my wife and beautiful son again. They are all I need to make a stressful day happy again. Opening the door, I smiled at the smell of fresh bread that was wafting out of the kitchen, (Y/N) was obviously cooking again. My smile grew even wider as I saw my little boy, Fenrir, toddle out of the kitchen holding a small slice of bread.

"Papa! Look!"

"What is it Fenrir?"

Fenrir toddled closer to me, waving the bread in the air which he held in his chubby little hands.

"Bre - breed."

A hearty laugh left my throat as I heard my little boy try and pronounce bread.

"Come here Fen, come give papa a hug."

I held my arms open for him to walk to me. A small smile worked its way onto his face as he began to walk over to me on his little baby legs. He was about half way when I noticed him beginning to lose his footing. Almost immediately my father instincts took over causing me to stride over to my baby and pick him up, holding him against my chest.

Looking up from his little face, I noticed my wife, (Y/N), leaning against the door frame, a small smile on her lips.

"Why hello beautiful."

The melodic laugh that I fell in love with left her mouth. I moved over to her and gave her a quick kiss on her lips to which she deepened.

"Eww. Stop it."

We pulled away to look at Fenrir, who had a look of disgust on his face. I couldn't help but laugh quickly followed by (Y/N) joining in. Suddenly Dwalin barged into the room. Both (Y/N) and little Fenrir's eyes widened. I placed Fenrir in (Y/N)'s arms before turning to face Dwalin.

"What is it?"

My voice changed into a harsher tone, one I rarely used in front of my wife and child.

"You need to come quickly."

I sighed, kissing my wife once more and then my son upon his head. Walking to the door, I grabbed my shield and sheathed my sword.

"I'll back soon (Y/N)."

"Take care sweetheart."

~*~

Reader's P.O.V

The smoke and flames moved further into the mountain. I ripped the bottom off my skirt, taking the small ribbon of fabric and tying it across my son's mouth and nose, hoping it will save his breathing a bit. I ran down the halls of Erebor, clutching Fenrir close to me, shielding his eyes from the devastation going on around him.

"Thorin! Thorin!"

I'd searched everywhere I could but I couldn't find him. A tear rolled down my cheek as I realised if I stayed in the mountain any longer both Fenrir and I would be long gone. Quickly I made my way to the hidden exit in the pantry, one of the many in the halls. I was forced to place Fenrir on the ground and hold his hand to get through the small gap but soon enough it opened up, meaning I could pick up my son and run.

I let out a gasp of relief once I made it out of the tunnel. I set Fenrir down allowing me to catch my breath but I knew I couldn't stop for long. I had to get away from the flames and smoke of the dragon. Holding my hand out to my son, I smiled weakly.