Chapter Twenty Six

Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas! Sorry it's a late uplaod but I've been extremely busy. Here's the next chappie :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It had struck concern over most of the teachers of Draco's new behaviour. Even some of his classmates were noticing the change. Goyle who had gone back to his normal ways, tormenting younger students, had decided to give Draco some time to adjust. He promised he wasn't going to intefere or try to help him.

As a result, Crabbe had no longer a slight fear of being seen hanging out with Goyle. He would walk beside him and Draco and act ordinary. At least, ordinrary in their world.

However, Draco would no longer enjoy or engage in their pathetic undertaking of bullying the younger students. Although he did enjoy the occasional torment of a certain Gryffindor.

Draco's thoughts were more concerned in his newly found role than anything else. His thoughts would lead to Draco thinking about Luna Lovegood.

Luna had beginning to suspect Draco's secret. She still wasn't sure what it was exactly, but she knew he was hiding something.

After Transfiguration, Padma had been meaning to talk to Draco. Ever since the Christmas dance, she had wanted to strike up a conversation with him. She had seen a side to him, that was never there before. I mean, he danced with her. He conversated with a Ravenclaw!

That simple gesture was enough to make Padma week at knees.

Padma had even started to feel something for him. Of course, Draco wouldn't care, she thought. She wasn't even sure of what her feelings meant. It had a weird effect on her body.

Whenever she would see him, she would feel butterflies in her stomach and a small smile would creep on her lips.

The time when Draco was absent from school, Padma spent the time taking her mind into little wonders about what he could be doing. Her thoughts, however were nothing to what Luna's were. Padma's were far less complicated.

She thought that perhaps Draco had taken time out to go to a holiday with his family. Maybe attempt to get a tan. A tan that would send all the gils 'gaga' over him. Not that he needed a tan, she thought. His pale skin was what she loved about him. Loved? Padma didn't love Draco. No, she thought, he's not my type.

These thoughts would then lead to her thinking, of what will happen if Draco ever asked her to go on holiday with him. What will she wear? Would his family like her? How will Draco ask her to come with him? Scenarios of the conversation would pop into her mind and she would sit there for hours a day thinking about how happy she would be if those conversations were to become true.

Like I said, her thoughts were far different to Luna's.

So after the lesson, Padma had gone outside to sit near the lake. Ironically, Luna was also sitting near the lake, her head buried in a book. 

"Hey, Luna." Padma said quite cheerfully, as she made her way towards Luna. "Mind if I sit?"

Luna looked up and shook her head. "No." She smiled and closed her book.

"How are you?" Padma asked.

"Fine and yourself?"

"Well, I guess I could say I'm fine."

"Is everything alright?"

"Well I'm sort of nervous." Padma took a breath and before Luna could reply she continued. "I've been meaning to talk to a certain person. I mean, I don't know what I will say to him once I find him. But I really need to see him."

Luna smiled and looked intrigued, however she didn't ask about who she was talking about thinking that maybe it would be disrespectful to ask especially if Padma didn't want to expose the name.

But Padma had already gotten wrappped in the excitement of her story that she had to carry on.

"I know he doesn't like me. I mean, he hardly ever likes anyone. But I don't know, maybe he could give me a chance." She giggled lightly as she said this and sighed before carrying on. "Why do the Malfoys have to be so gorgeous?"

Luna's eyes widened slightly at the mention of the Malfoys and looked away staring blankly ahead.

Padma felt slightly embarrassed having heard no reply or seen no reaction from Luna. "I shouldn't have said that. I should not have said that." She murmured to herslef whilst shaking her head.

Luna looked back and gave Padma a sad smile. A sad smile, because Malfoy brought sad memories to her mind. She disliked the way she was being treated by him, but she was also confused as to why she still cared for him.

Padma smiled back, dismissing the sadness in Luna's expression. "I'm sorry you had to hear my problems."

"Oh, don't worry. You shouldn't seem them as problems." Luna said quietly, resting a hand on her upper arm.

Padma looked slightly confused but again didn't say anything not surprised as Luna was always queer.

"I should probably go, and make a fool of myself." Padma got up and dusted off her robes.

"You won't make a fool of yourself Padma. You see, I think it's brave that you want to talk to him. Draco needs to have friends that understand him."

Padma chuckled and nodded empathetically. "Thank you, I'll see you round." And she went back to the castle.

On her way, to the Great Hall she noticed that Draco was sitting alone in the Slytherin table. Padma's heart rate increased and looked around making sure there weren't many people inthere. She took a deep breath and walked towards him.

The one minute that took to get to the Slytherin table felt like an eternity. The seconds were endless, and as she arrived Draco, didn't even notice her taking a seat opposite him.

Draco had a blank expression on his face, and to Padma it looked as if he was just petrified.

What was Padma going to say to him? She wanted to go back; but her nerves got the better of her as she coughed and made her prescence known. It was an unexpected cough, she didn't want to do it, but she was so nervous that she thought coughing was going to calm her down.

Draco turned around as he heard her, and immidiately looked surprised to see her sitting there. His face went from showing no emotion to having a dirty look on his face.

Padma gulped as her cheeks flushed into a crimson shade of red, and forced a smile.

"Hello." She said, her voice cracking slightly.