Chapter Seven: blind and lied to

A week went by and Damien spent a lot of his time in the room under the stairs. He only came out every once in awhile. When he did, it was always the same. We would fight. I knew nothing was different, I knew nothing would change just because of the look on his face at the mall.

Today, I was wandering off into the kitchen, wearing some Love Pink sweatpants and a white long sleeved shirt from Vanity. I was so much more comfortable since we went shopping. At least one good thing came out of the trip. As I got to the door it swung open, nearly hitting me in the face. That door is dangerous!

“Watch where you're going!” Damien instantly spat at me, getting some angry spit in his glass of spiced Rum. Good for him. I only knew what was in his glass because he was holding the Captain Morgan bottle in his other hand. He was really drinking? It was 8 pm! Oh wait, that wasn't so bad then. I just woke up so it should have been more like 8 am. Stupid sleeping pattern...

“No, you watch where you're going.” I poked him in the chest. He was the one that almost hit me with the door!

“Stop that.” He took an annoyed step away from me. Well he couldn't do much about it since his hands were full of alcohol. So I continued to poke him as he back away from me.

“You don't like that do you?” Obviously, I wasn't really afraid of him anymore. I mean, the smallest things set him off and it was kind of funny. It wasn't so funny when he got really pissed off and gave me a few bruises but the look on his face was definetly worth it.

“Knock it off!” He snapped.

Before I knew what was happening I heard glass shattering and I was slammed into the wall. Before I could protest or apologize, he wrapped his arms around me and pulled me against his body as if protectively. What? That couldn't be right. A loud sound told me the front door had been busted open. Damien's breathing seemed to stop as he pushed his body closer to mine. He smelt good. No, he smelt really good. I was almost dizzy from his smell. I instinctively stopped breathing.

There was a soft sound of pattering feet down the hall. I peeked under Damien's arm. All I saw was a big grey tail disappear into the living room. My jaw dropped open.

“What is that thing?!” I whispered out, Damien's hand went over my mouth.

“Go up to your room. Don't come down until I come get you!” He hissed under his breath.

“But--”

“Don't argue with me, stupid. Go now!” He pushed me and I stumbled my way down the hall. There was no way that thing wasn't going to see me when I ran past the living room. But to my surprise I made it to the stairs. I was halfway up when I heard a yelp, followed by a growl right behind me. I ran faster, getting to my room and slamming my door shut. What the hell was that about?!

I waited for probably an hour before the house became eerily silent, which made me worried. What if something happened to Damien? What if that thing out there hurt him? Now I was angry. Why did I care? So what if something happened to him...well, no. That wasn't true. I didn't want anything to happen to him. So there was no so what's about it.

The more worried I got, the more my mind couldn't stop thinking about Damien. And then my door flew open and I jumped, turning around from pacing around my room.

“Damien!” I unwillingly gasped out in relief. I grimaced. Why did I have to do that? He looked at me momentarily surprised and then there was that smirk. I haven't seen that stupid thing in awhile.

“Unfortunately, you can come out now.” He muttered then turned to leave.

“What was that thing?” I ran over to him, following him out into the hall. He stopped, only for a second.