Chapter Twenty: puppy love

Damien knew exactly where to find Zero and his brothers. He had ran so fast we got there in no time. By the time he stopped I was still clinging to him. My entire body was tense against him. I felt him squeeze my legs, then he shrugged, trying to get me to drop down. I didn't even want to open my eyes, let alone let go of him.

 “Let go.” Damien muttered. I shook my head against him. “Kimberly, let go.” He shrugged again.

 “I think I'm going to be sick.” I muttered.

 “No!” He hissed at me, shrugging a little harder. My body jostled but I still wouldn't budge.

 “You shouldn't have ran so fast.” I continued to mutter. He was really quiet now. He let out a frustrated sigh.

 “Fine...I'm...sorry.” He finally said. I smiled to myself, loosening my grip on him and let myself drop down. I opened my eyes and looked up at him when he turned around. He narrowed his eyes at me. “You--”

 “Are they in there?” I looked past him, pointing to the abandoned looking building in the distance, changing the subject quickly. He snapped his mouth shut, glancing behind him.

 “Yes.” He turned back to me and grabbed my hand, pulling me closer to him. “Stay beside me.” He ordered, running his fingers through my hair. His eyes watched me as if I was about to suddenly disappear. “If they happen to catch my scent, do exactly what I tell you to do, ok?” His voice was getting lower.

 I nodded. He continued to look at me for another long second, then turned on his heels and dragged me close behind him up to the abandoned, vine covered building. My heart was racing, I really hope the wolves couldn't hear it.

 Damien and I quietly made our way to an open window, a little bit taller then both of us. As Damien gracefully, and silently walked, I kept tripping over my own feet. He kept me from falling more then a few times. I was so clumsy tonight.

 When we were close enough, we could hear voices. The point was to go in there and face Zero's brothers with him. Damien stopped and I knew he didn't plan on moving. I looked up at him, knowing this was as far as he was going to let me go. He ignored me.

 “You're lucky we took it easy on you, Zero.” Someone spoke, too much amusement in his voice for my liking. There was a growl, then the sound of someone spitting, followed by a very familiar laugh.

 “You got what you wanted, now return the favor.”

 There was a very long silence before the other man spoke.

 “And what would that be?”

 “An answer, to a simple question.” Zero demanded.

 “Really? That's all?”

 “Yes.” Zero was keeping calm.

 “Ask away, brother.”

 “What does Venom have to offer you that's worth all of this?” Zero's voice was more serious then I have ever heard before.

 “It doesn't matter.” Whoever he was talking to snapped.

 “Keep your word! Don't make me force it out of you, Vash!”

 “Go ahead and try.” Vash taunted.

 There was a loud noise now, the sound of struggling. I grabbed Damien's arm anxiously. He didn't look at me but he squeezed my hand. He was focused on the window.

 “No!” Vash hissed out. “Stay back! This is between us.”

 The struggling stopped. Low growling was coming from inside now. The sound of footsteps told me his other brothers were backing away from him. Then the sound of more struggling picked up and Zero spoke;