Chapter Twenty-Four: you take the breath right out of me

Oh My Goodness!! You guys are probably gonna kill me for this chapter. First of all it's short and secondly there's a cliff hanger....im sorry!! Im trying to build up the suspense as best as I can (let me know if it's working haha) But im hoping this will help me make the upcoming chapters longer.

Well, comment/vote/fan/most of all ENJOY :p

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I watched him make quick, sharp movements around the small patch of open space we made ourselves comfortable in. He'd been fidgeting all night. He's been on edge for days. Ever since he made the mistake of taking Kim back to the palace. I've never seen him beg anybody to do anything for him. If he wanted something done he'd be the one to do it himself. He'd rather it be that way than any other way.

“Vince...” A smooth voice came from my side. I turned to him, already knowing he was about to show up at any second. If I was normal, I might have jumped from his abrupt arrival. “Whoa, he's all wound up still, isn't he?” Samuel stopped walking towards me to take in his movements.

“Shut up...” Damien muttered but didn't glance at either of us or stop his pacing. Sam shook his head before turning to me.

“What's up, Sam?” I encouraged, seeing him too distracted to even focus on what he was about to say.

“Oh. Right. We chased the wolves all the way East of the region. It doesn't seem like they're going to head back this way for awhile...”

I nodded, soaking in this new information.

“Venom's scent disappeared not too long ago. I think he went into hiding.” I informed now.

Sam furrowed his eyebrows. “I wonder why--”

“He's a coward, that's why!” Damien snapped. Once again he didn't look at us.

“I was just pondering his thought process. Calm down over there, Mr. Grumpy” Sam tsked at him. Now he actually did look at us. It was that darkened look he always got on his face. We both looked away from him. He's such a brat....Of course if I told him that he'd probably kill me....

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Zero, I--” When I pulled away from him to show him my tearful gratitude for coming for me, my face drained of color and I turned away from him, throwing my hand over my eyes.

“What's wrong?” He asked anxiously, grabbing my arm to try and turn me back to him.

“You're—you're naked!” I informed him, the color was flooding back to my face very fast.

“Oh...” His grip on my arm loosened. Then he started laughing as if this was really the funniest thing that's happened to him in awhile.

“Zero!” I scolded him.

“Kim, it's just me. It's not like you don't want to look!”

“Zero!” I turned further away from him, which just made him laugh harder.

“My, if Damien knew you were enjoying this, he'd be sooo jealous!” He teased now.

“Zero! I am not enjoying this!” I denied, heat burning my cheeks from the anger of thinking about Damien now. “And who cares what he thinks anyways!” I snapped bitterly. Zero squeezed my arm and rubbed it.

“Come now, is that any way for a Princess to talk?”

I turned to him now, too distracted by our new conversation for me to pay attention to his perfectly carved body.

“No, it's not. But I'm not a Princess so it doesn't matter.” I narrowed my eyes, not exactly at him but more at this whole situation. “I don't want to go back to Damien.” I informed past the lump in my throat. He stared at me. I didn't think he was going to say anything. He looked lost in his thoughts.

“Ok. No Damien than. Where do you want to go? I'll take you anywhere, Kimberly.”

I stared at him the same way he had been staring at me. Anywhere I want to go? I've never been asked that before. I was surprised that I didn't have to think much on it. I knew instantly.

“I want to go to Wolf Lake.” I finally forced myself to speak. He blinked.

“Wh-wha--....where?”

I tilted my head at his reaction.

“Wolf Lake.” I repeated. He frowned. Then he was shaking his head as if the idea of going there was horrifying to him. “Zero?” I took a step towards him, only to jump back because he turned into his big brown wolf form abruptly. I was glad my reflexes are better then ever or else I might not of been able to move out of the way in time.

He came towards me and before I had a chance to react he ducked his head and rolled me onto his back as he took off running. Although I was shocked by this, I was able to grip his sides in time to not fall off. I ducked into his fur as I felt his muscles work to pick up speed. I don't know if we were going to Wolf Lake. But wherever we were going I knew I wasn't going to be seeing Damien anytime soon. Zero wouldn't do that to me. My stomach twisted. I don't know if I could ever forgive him...

As my mind spun non-stop, Zero's ears went back and his muscles tensed.

“Zero?” I whispered at him, knowing perfectly well that he couldn't answer me. He responded by growling shortly and picking up speed.

I stared at the back of his head until howling in the distance caught my attention, making me jump. He came to an abrupt halt, his body tremored beneath me. I stopped breathing and my body froze. Venom stood before us, a smug look on his face as if we somehow wandered into his trap...I felt a chill run across my skin as the distant growling began to encircle us.

~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*

I flinched. Ocean blue. Clear and full of life. Such beauty. They disappear, just for an instant, replaced by long, but small, soft hairs. They return and I have to catch my breath. Strands of gold flutter into view. I blink now. Finally I can snap myself out of it. Only now I see her. She stands before me. It's not just those eyes of hers that has it's hold on me.

She wrinkles her nose, as she always does when trying to figure something out. I watch her bit her lip. Why does she torture me like this? I move towards her so fast I don't even realize what I'm doing. My hand reaches out for her. Her blue eyes widen at me as if betrayed. My movements halt....What have I done?

“Damien?” Her head tilts, her lips move but it isn't her voice that speaks.

“Hello? Anybody home?” Someone taps my head repeatedly. I pop open one eye, looking up at Samuel as irritated as I can manage myself to look. “He lives!” He threw his hands up in the air in over-dramatic excitement. He spends way too much time with Zero.

I sat up, pushing him away from me. Sam and Vincent were both giving me knowing looks. I scowled at both of them. Damn it. I was muttering in my sleep again....