He Knows

Hello!

I'm on spring break right now <3

But unfortunately it's my last day. /:

I wasn't going to update today because of break but I went over my chapter and realized it was pretty short and it wouldn't be very fair if I made you wait a week more for a short chapter.

So here you are, and enjoy

-Cilla

...

"Alright, good-night!" Her voice called from the hallway to her friend who had left. "Bye!" They yelled at eachother with laughter. 

I recalled so many times in my head where she had said 'bye' to me. 'Good-night Conrad.' or 'Good-bye Conrad.' And I would brush it off, because I hated it so much. I hated that. Her door shut and I watched her light turn on.  

I read for a long time, and by the time I was beginning to get tired, it was two in the morning. Macy's light was still on. 

I thought for a while, what if she fell asleep with it on, so I checked. Before I put my hand on the doorknob, I pressed my ear to the crack and heard loud- loud snoring. It was a low rough grumble kind of snore, but I also heard her humming. My first thought was that Mason was in there, but after I used my common sense, I realized that it was her dog. 

She hummed the theme song to That 70's Show and I tried not to laugh. What was she doing in there for hours? I wanted to know but I still didn't touch the doorknob. Instead, I walked back to my room and slept for a few more hours myself. 

... 

"I'm gone," I said to Xavier at five-thirty in the morning before I left for work. He gave me the "It's- It... Um. K.." Mumble, and I left like usual. 

I lazily stumbled down the stairs and met eyes with the same superior dog I had the night before. That meant Macy was up.  

Journey turned back around and trotted over to the kitchen like a king. I heard Macy's quiet sleepy voice say something enthusiastically and Journey gave a short bark- half scaring me to death. In the kitchen she made him bark once more and I watched as she shook her head with a smile. It was a sleepy smile. 

"Way to scare me shitless." I told her lowly and she jumped, meeting my eyes.  

It reminded me of so many memories in a flash. First one was when I barely knew her, when she had come down the stairs in her underwear and it was just a shocking joy for me as a pigish guy to see her legs. Another memory was when I made her breakfast. She was so jumpy that day. Her face was also so warm. I had let my barriers slip that morning, and it scared me. Remembering all of that in a split second was still enough to remind me to be embarrassed. 

"Sorry," She said kind of jokingly. Her eyes looked tired and she looked like she was fighting to stay awake. 

Grabbing a mug and filling it with fresh coffee she must've made, I looked at her and asked, "Did you go to sleep at all last night?"  

The question took her by surprise. When she looked at me her eyes widened the slightest, and I took that split second to figure out any kind of emotion that went on in her mind. I couldn't, so it was over for me. 

Her eyes were covered and her absence was too much for me to remember how to analyze her. "No." Was all she said. 

If I asked why, it would make it seem like I cared. I made that mistake with her four years ago when I had first walked in on that perfect military guy making out with her. I had questioned her too much and she asked why it mattered. Why did it matter? Because she meant something to me. Now I couldn't allow myself to show her. If Macy didn't care, then I didn't either.