Day At The Orphanage

Macy had Mary over and they were chatting in her room while Jared was spending a couple nights over at his relatives house in Dallas, a cousin of his named James.

I was having a beer on the couch and enjoying the emptiness. It was almost like old times.

Macy and Mary were upstairs talking excitedly over random things. It was funny because I figured women held strong grudges against eachother but I reminded myself how she was Macy. Xavier was off doing whatever, but this time it was work. And I was there just being a random bother to nobody- yet. The only odd thing was... Was there was a dog, a huge one, by my side and smiled happily, proudly. Like royalty.

I flipped the channels on the tv and found history. It was usually old and typical stuff they played years go, so I just played with my phone for a while.

When they came down it was casual. Like nothing odd happened with Macy and I the day before. Did she even think about it after? She had to... I hoped.

Macy's phone rang as Jared was calling her and she excused herself. Mary immediately turned around and raised an eyebrow at me.

"What?" I snapped.

She shook her head ruefully. "You dog." She laughed. "Making a move on an engaged women?"

"She told you?" I was assured then that Macy had thought about it enough to talk to Mary about it.

"'Course she did." Mary slapped my legs and I moved them off so she could sit.

"She didn't move away." I told her. "There's hope."

"Yeah from fear." She muttered rudely. "She told me."

I raised an eyebrow at her, "What all did she say?"

"Oh... Little bit of this, little bit of that."

I glared at her, "Dumb bitch." I growled and she laughed again.

Macy walked in on Mary's laughter and looked at us curiously. She looked confused, confused to why we were sitting on the same couch so casually and seeming to almost get along.

"How's the lover?" Mary asked, looking me from the corner of her eye and holding back a smirk.

Macy smiled. "He's good, but he can't go an hour without calling me."

Mary chuckled, "Sounds annoying."

"It is."

Macy sat on the other couch and crossed her nice legs.

"What does he even say? 'I love you, I'll call in a bit to say the same thing.'"

I came to the conclusion by then that Mary was doing it on purpose and it seemed to make Macy slightly uncomfortable too.

I suddenly missed Cory and wondered how he was doing. I got up and gave him a call and he sounded happy to hear from me.

"How ya doin', bud?" I asked.

"I'm good, do you want to come over and bring me some candy?" Cory asked.

I chuckled and told him of course. But I wasn't bringing him candy, I was bringing him something better.

When Mary left she gave me painful pinch on the arm that was mixed with both luck and hate. I gave her a look telling her that she owed me that conversation and I would definetly be calling her that same night.

"Macy," I called, watching her stare at her ring. I couldn't tell if it was in admiration or something else, but she flinched away from her thoughts and looked up at me. "Do you wanna go see Cory?"