Done

I got up, feeling sudden suspicion, and went in the hallway to check the drive way to see only Macy's truck there. Xavier had left, but where?

I went back to the guestroom and dressed, then there was the sound of his parked Altima and I heard as Xavier called for Macy. "What?" She called back from her room.

"There's someone to see you." He shouted from downstairs and I heard as she ran down them and I opened my door and watched as she happily ran into her boyfriend's arms.

"Jared!" She laughed with joy and she jumped on him, wrapping her legs around as he kissed her lovingly.

"I missed you, babe." I heard his accent tell her.

She laughed again, "I know, you called me a lot."

They kissed again and he still hadn't set her down. Xavier brought him back, and it also brought my pissy mood back as well. I felt as if I hadn't ever existed to her, but I knew better. At least I hoped so. "I love you." He said.

"I love you too." She said back with a smile so wide I felt then that everything for me was hopeless. I would never get her back, and the proof was standing right ahead of me. So I turned and moped back into the guestroom, feeling as if the house was no longer mine.

I wanted the lights off. I wanted the shutters closed. I wanted the door shut and I wanted it locked. A pounding came and I realized it was Journey suddenly becoming a nosey bastard. But it was okay because I was happy he cared about me. More than his stupid owner did, that was for sure.

I didn't want to let him in. Of course I wanted to have him around because he had become my friend, but it was like having a piece of her at my side or on my bed and that only bothered me more. He continued his banging and I squeezed my eyes tight, for some reason this sudden episode in my mind never wanting to leave.

What made it worse was her voice on the end. Her faint laughs mixed in with a british cooe. It never left my mind.

It was pathetic how I actually tried to have a plan to get her back, when it was never going to happen. So instead I focused on how to get over her. That was equally painful.

...

"What do you mean you give up?" Mary snapped.

I groaned, remembering how I had gotten that exact same reaction from Jole, Aaron, my father, and Andrea. They were angry more than anything.

"It's never going to happen. I fucked it all up four years ago and this is my punishment." I said boredly, as if I had said it a thousand times.

Mary stared at me in both awe and disgust. "You sound like you don't even care anymore."

It was because I was trying not to. "Maybe I don't." I shrugged to her.

She looked mad. "Conrad, this is Macy for gods sake."

"Yeah."

Mary dramatically groaned and threw her arms up. "You're gonna let her marry some guy who stops her from doing stuff she loves, like painting?"

"That's all on her, he can't force her to do anything."

"The fuck, are you now defending him?" She crossed her arms. "Do you even know what you're saying?"

I didn't say anything and kept walking through Watter's Creek with my hands buried in my pockets. I licked my lips, begging for a cigarette and decided I would have a few on my way to the orphanage. I had already bought Cory a package of Sour Patch, because I know he would force me to leave out of anger when I'd tell him I was giving up on Macy.