Chapter 2

That night at the old saw mill wasn't the worst night of our lives but somehow we pushed through it. With Andre being in the hospital Dez and Jerome went and visited him frequently. Morris was on the security with Tony showing him the ropes and Prince submerged himself into his music leaving me to sit alone or wander Paisley Park like a lost puppy. Things were different between us. Our relationship was strained because of the things that were going on. René being stabbed, Andre almost being blown up, Drew being shot. It was weighing heavily on all of us. Morris and the others were handling way better than Prince. We stopped sleeping in the same room days after the explosion. I missed him terribly. Our late night love making and conversations were nothing more than passing hellos and an occasional see you later. What's happening to us? What happened to my friend? My lover? My world. I couldn't help but ask myself these questions over and over as I would sit alone in one of the guest rooms. My stuff just tossed where ever. There were times where I would stand outside of the studio door and listen to him lay track on what he's been working on. I would never just go in anymore because it felt like he was pushing me away and wouldn't tell me why. Maybe everything that happened is my fault. I just could be the cause of him being so distant. It was hurting me more that it was him who was trying to stay away. As I was walking into the living room one night he was on the phone with someone and he couldn't keep himself from smiling. That only meant that he was talking to a woman. No man would put on the seductive voice and keep smiling on the phone for nothing. Prince was always know to be a flirtatious person. Who isn't. There have been times where I was the same with him. But now things were different. They almost felt as if we never knew each other at all. It's only been five days but it feels so much longer than that without him. So this is what it's like to be lonely. The kisses and touches so few and far between. The long stares and gazes were kept to a bare minimum. The jokes and the laugher weren't all that important. I sat in a chair in the corner of my room and stared out the window. The sun reflected off of refuge lake giving it a sky blue color. Slipping on my black flats and changing my top I decided that sitting in my room wasn't going to change my mood. I need to find him and find out what went wrong. When I opened the door he was standing on the other side as if he was going to knock. We didn't say anything at first. We just looked at each other. I felt a small grin form. His face on the other hand was unreadable. Finally I had the courage to say something.

"Hi." Was all I could muster because I was still in shock to see him.

"Hey." He said back.

He sound like he was happy to see me. It didn't sound like much of anything.

"Can we talk?" I asked nervously thinking he was going to immediately shut me down.

"Yeah. Sure."

That was it. Just short and to the point. This was definitely not the Prince I knew. I let him in and he sat on the end of the bed and I closed the door. I was almost too afraid to even sit next to him. I could feel my heart racing and my throat getting as dry as the Sahara.

"What do you wanna talk about?" He asked as he sat looking at his hands.

"Us."

He looked up at me quickly and stared at me. It was almost like he was trying to contain his anger.

"What about us?"

"Well that's just it. I don't know what's going on anymore. You've been so distant lately. Did I do something?"

He didn't look at me. Just looked at his hands.

"No."

I was beginning to get frustrated.

"No?"

Finally he looked at me.

"No! What's this really about Regan?"

"What do you mean what's this about!?!? You know what this is about. Me and you! We've hardly spoken to one another and you have me sleeping in here and not with you. I agreed to give you some time but how much more time apart do we need??? I miss us! I miss you."

His eyes never moved. They were just fixed on my face. His expression was the same. No smile. No emotion. Nothing. He didn't say anything. He just stood up and went to the door.

"Where are you going?" I asked stopping him in his tracks.

"I wanna finish this song so.....I'll see you later."

He walked out and closed the door. I tried really hard to stop myself from crying but the pain was so bad that it just happened. Tears of heartbreak streamed down my face. Why is he hurting me so bad? What did I do to deserve this? I gave him my very soul and just like that he was over it. Maybe he was right. Maybe this whole thing was just a good time to him. The more I thought of the sting of his words I would get this indescribable feeling in my chest. It was like I couldn't breathe. I had to leave this place. My heart couldn't take it anymore. Maybe me being here is too much. I went out into the hall and picked up the phone and called Tony.

"Security desk this is Tony."

"Tony! Hey! It's Regan."

"Hey miss Regan. What's up?"

"Can you get one of the guys to take me home today? I miss my mom and I'm kinda worried about her." I lied.

"Sure does the boss know?"

"Yeah. He knows." I lied again.

"Are you ready now or did you wanna wait?"

"Oh no. Now is......"

I saw Prince walking out of his office and into his studio without being noticed.

"Miss Regan?"

"Sorry. Now is fine. I'll be right down."

"Ok! I'll have Brian pull around to the door right now."

"Thanks Tony."

I hung up and quickly shoved everything I had into my bag. I took a small sheet of paper and scribbled a note to Prince and left it on the bed. If he got it he would call if not then I have my answers to the questions that were clouding my thoughts. We're over.